Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday 033108

My hamstrings, glutes etc,that have been giving me fits due to this groin adductor issue are feeling a lot better now.  No surprise given the rest I have provided them.  The adductors and groin are still a bit sore.  I did a half mile test jog to see if it had cleared at all.  It has progressed (healed) but is still there. 

5 comments:

  1. Still be patient! If you took this entire week off completely you would only come out ahead in the long run. Pun intended.
    Don't under estimate the cross training benefit either. Cycling will help you tons in holding on to fitness. It won't necessarily make you a better runner- but it will prevent certain aspects of your fitness from degrading so quickly.
    Be smart now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you ever figured out what exactly this 'issue' is? it sounds pretty odd, especially since it is hurting you at night. the whole abdomen to groin, into the hammies is strange as well. i have had two stress factures in my pelvis(which might explain why i'm tougher than you ;) ) and when they happened, one of the most noticeable things was that all of the muscles around my core and hips would literally seize up, probably to the stabilize my pelvis. so i am wondering if there is something more serious going on in there and not just a strain and all of these other symptoms are just "compensation" pains...make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ain't that a wonderful thought?

    I had a physical last month and the extent of that simply told me it was not a hernia (you must say, "it is not a hernia" in your best Arhnahld voice. The doc thought it was diastasis recti, which I have come to increasingly think is an incorrect diagnosis.

    I don't know what is really going on in there but and I suspect finding out exactly through my medical plan will be an act in frustration. At current, I don't have the will (yet) to drive through that beauracracy.

    As far as your toughness ... I know you are a Mom of two. My wife is as well. That gives me some familiarity with how tough you are. But hey ... if we are comparing war wounds, the lawnmower foot has to give me some credit - right? :)

    Oh, for what it is worth ... I biked today and I feel NO groin pain when I do that. When you fractured your pelvis, was that an option? I secretly hope the answer you give is no because I really am not wanting to skip six weeks to heal a stress fracture of my butt bone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm.....i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that i had this same diastasis recti(i don't know if there are different kinds) during the end of both of my pregnancies and post-partum. it has pretty much healed itself, but if i bend in just the right way, you can feel the gap. so unless you gained a lot of weight really quickly, more specifically, in your gut or have been having babies, i really don't know how you would get this.
    as for a hernia, i would think that would be pretty obvious, no? having a brother and a husband who have both had one - i know that until they had surgery, they were able to tuck things back up into place, if you kwim....
    it sounds like for whatever reason you are having some kind of stability issues coming from your core/hips/pelvis. the only thing that would rule a fracture out would be a bone scan.
    and yes, i biked a ton when i had stress factures(that is how i started biking in the first place) and i also pool ran without any problems. it did however ache at night and sometimes when sitting, i would feel it and get 'locked' into sitting position.
    with biking, at least for me, all of my 'zones' are about 10 bpm lower, so yeah, you are going quite a bit harder to get the same heartrate.

    okay, i'll give you some tough points for the whole lawnmower foot...but unless you have been secretly having babies, i am still at least one point ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have two kids ... you are at least two points ahead!

    Thanks for the info on the fracture. I don't know what this is ... I am going the hopeful route and see if this clears up at all with some rest.

    GZ

    ReplyDelete