Wednesday, January 7, 2009

010709 Wednesday 10 miles

Various ...

  • The winds continue to blow today.  Jeffco has gusts up to 58mph with a steady wind at 20mph.  It gusted so high that the dirt on the Marshall Mesa whipped up to start to block out the views of the mountains.  No joke.  I was on the third floor of my building (a four story building) and I can feel the building moving.  Seriously.  On the fourth floor - the blinds were moving on the windows because the windows were bowing to the wind.  Co worker Verne posted some pix.
  • I am debating whether I should have responded to this post.  MAF ... (by the way, I know that Lucho and I have posted quite a bit on MAF on the past.  FWIW - I think he and I agree more on MAF in terms of running training.  Certainly he is more versed in IM and its applicability there given I have never done one of those).
  • THIS is a really bad day.  I am glad that did not happen to me skiing.
  • More fun on talent versus work at the SOS.  If they post stuff like this everyday, I will just let the blogroll on the right speak to it.  Their stuff, Fitzgerald's and CV's are some of the best blogs of folks regarding training approaches I know (that don't also serve as "this is what I did for training"). 
  • Fitzgerald's post on weight and willpower ... interesting as lots of folks seem to be thinking about weight these days (particularly in light of the dark days of winter.
  • I used to run the Certain Death trail all the time ... (if you live in Boulder County and run, you know this trail ... it was also described in Running with the Buffaloes as an Adam Goucher 22 mile run) then it got shut down.  It looks like it might get opened up again! 
  • Stupid IPOD question:  my work laptop has had its motherboard replaced a couple of times.  Each time that counts as a registered computer with my IPOD.  I can't get access to those old boards and deregister them with Apple.  Is there an alternative way that I can deregister a computer that is associated with my IPOD/Itunes? (later note skatona suggests - http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/authorization/ - thank you.  Do I know you?)
  • Interview with Eric Blake, mountain runner from the US team last year.

Due to the crazy winds ... I hit the treadmill again.  This is the third day on the mill and it is getting to me a bit.  After five miles, I went to 4 x 3 minutes at 5K pace, and then ran sub six for the remaining 9 minutes or so to get to the finish.  I was not really up for this physically ... I probably should have taken an other easy day but I my desire to get this run done over rode that.  6:56, 6:48, 6:56, 6:41, 6:49, 6:20, 5:46, 6:04, 6:08, 5:51.  64 minutes.  I am ready to get back outside ... even if that means running in gale force winds.

11 comments:

  1. I think he is taking those comments out of context, or perhaps does not have enough context in the first place (with regards to the MAF post you linked to).

    First of all, as I understand it, 180-Age is a ROUGH GUESS. You can go to a lab to have blood work done to find out exactly where your number is. Or you can add 5 points or 10 points if you are in very good shape and have been for awhile.

    I think he also missed the point about the interview in terms of when is a base-building/training period versus an upcoming race, etc.

    Thats just my two cents.

    If you are in the mood for some fireworks, you could get yourself and Lucho to start posting back and forth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lucho and I agree more on MAF than disagree. I'd like to see his response there but I think we'd agree - in terms of running applicability on it: good for beginners, good for base building, good for the majority of one's training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/authorization/

    Not sure if that helps or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. skatona - that might work if I deauthorize all my computers and then reauthorize the one I am currently using - THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey George,

    Yeah - we met at the Colder Boulder finish line as we were both speaking with Todd. I told you I visit your blog, and that you passed me going up Green when you, JV, and that other gentleman did your Boulder peak ascents run, etc.

    Still visit daily, enjoy your stuff.

    Later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool! I remember now! how is your training going in this breeze season?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far so good. This week's been brutal (no treadmill available so I battle the winds).

    I registered for the Moab Canyonlands Half (March 21) which I'm pretty pumped for. Never been to Moab.

    Your posts have inspired me to seriously consider Mt. Evans and Pikes ascents. I'm 99% on Mt. Evans and like 60% on Pikes. Pikes sounds scary as hell. Your double is just silly.

    Realized I didn't restate my name, it's Shaun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GZ, I'm calling the MAF debate officially over. MAF is another way of saying "base." Of course it works (but how long one remains under its direction is the question). Like Brett says, the 180-age is just a starting point. If people have a problem with that, they're probably unfit or just argumentative. Most of Maffetone's work is with ironman athletes, I believe. And the opinion of TW has certainly reconciled, for me, much of this debate. Doesn't necessarily work great for a competitive (even age gouper) marathoner.

    And to Maffetone's credit, I have talked to people who are believers, even a trail runner, a sponsored one for whom I had to wait like 5-8 minutes at various points during a run because he was. . ..hiking? Whatever.

    This debate can become a case of "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" which, as we all know, is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem.

    We all love improving our aerobic system. You should check-out my aerobic fitness program called COPE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the links!! i really hope that certain death opens back up soon. i used to run out there all the time(still do on occasion...)and it is a great surface. i don't quite understand why it was closed in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it got closed because technically that road is owned and managed by the same co. that manages the canal way there. I think they got concerned about the risk / potential litigation.

    I also heard that there were some incidents between runners out there and the guys driving the trucks on that road (guys working for the water company) - where the runners were essentially refusing to get out of the way and then being all pissy with the drivers. Not sure if that is true though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shaun - both Evans and Pikes are epic races. The big diffs of course are:

    a.) Evans is all road whereas Pikes is trail (for the most part).
    b.) Pikes climbs 7800 feet and Evans climbs like 3900 feet.

    Both are great Colorado events. Certainly, there is a greater degree of difficulty to Pikes than Evans because of the elevation climbed - but both can be very dangerous re: weather.

    Pikes is scary. Just better to not think about what it is that you have signed up for.

    ReplyDelete