Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday 110810

Yes, I know I went on a self tirade about being more specific in my training but I heeded the call to the mountains today.  South Boulder and Bear it was via the land of the Shadow.

image

The other brown line above represents the percent grade at any point in the run (sort of).

Coming down, saw two guys heading up.  The sun had set.  This is about 2/3rds of the way up Shadow.  “Does this trail go to Eldorado Springs?”  Ugh.  I gave them some directions and tried to keep it upbeat, but ended the conversation with “you have a less than an hour of daylight” as I ran down and they continued up.  I have had conversations like this more times than I can count on Boulder trails, but they always leave me a bit concerned.

Got to day dreaming … thinking about how I wanted to do this route every day until I could eat it up.  Had the thought of an “Ursa Major” run, that would include at least four rounds of the Bear.

Was thinking how running is like surfing.  We are out there trying to catch that perfect wave, that perfect day.  Some days we catch it, and then we spend a lot of other days trying to catch it again.

Anyway, today was an epic day out there – and not one we are going to have again for a bit due to losing light, colder temps.  I am glad I got it in.  Nothing zippy up and down today but a good head clearing run.

Fermentation underway … day 1

PB080127

10 comments:

  1. That run always seems longer than it is; it's a brute. Only 7.5 miles!

    Funny, last time I mentioned the sunset time to someone in Shadow Canyon it turned out to be a ranger headed out at dusk for research. Probably studying the bear I keep seeing, and checking the droppings for Garmin watches and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid: mountain running and home brew.

    It's like surfing also by the nature of the "wave" of earth with which you're getting intimate, charging and conquering. Every August you go very big, with your big gun (the guys that surf the giants call their sticks spears, rhino chasers, etc.).

    The Rockies are land equivalents to the big south pacific monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Run...I was going to invite you to come do a track workout with me at 6:30 or 7 tomorrow morning...but perhaps not an ideal day for you after a day climbing steep stuff, plus I'm only giving you about 8 hours notice :) But if you are into it...let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year as a senior in college, my best friend and I brewed meade after seeing a commercial for Beowulf. Then, we waited 3 months for fermentation, and took the bottled (and labeled!) libation to the top of a 40-story building that was under construction. With our closest friends, we poured and drank.

    It was the most vile crap I have ever tasted.

    But the brewing was totally worth it, even if I may have gone blind for several hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long 'till the beer is ready?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mtnrunner2 - yeah, I call Shadow Canyon the longest mile in Boulder County. I'd love to do that mile in 20 minutes!

    Matt - excellent! I was going to post that pic I saw of guys down at the beach when I was down there a few weeks ago.

    Aaron - I was actually thinking yesterday that I needed to contact you to hook up for Simms stuff. No way I would have made an AM session today, but I'd love to join. Please keep me in the loop.

    Dave - meade. Ugh. Fermented honey. Not my gig. I have yet to (although I am begging for it to happen here by saying this) have a brew go totally bad on me, but I have considered upping the sugar later in the fermentation to up the alcohol content (to help going blind).

    JT - it will ferment in the carboy (that container in the pic) for about 10-14 days. Technically, it is beer then but flat. It will then be bottled and "condition" (get carbonated) for at least two more weeks - probably more like four. So should be ready for the Fort Collins thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GZ, we'll have to get up the peaks together more. I was up there too yesterday. Glad you are keeping the 8000ér spirit in your training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave - I would love that. Are you done for the semester?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you getting out for a "real" run ;). Had I known, I would have done everything in my power to join.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah - it was a bit of late decision to pull this one up. I like SoBo a lot though ... will look to tag it once a week or so for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete