Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday 120114

News stuff – the tricky and slippery slopes of PEDs.
-great interview with Tony.  Having run with Tony yesterday, I reminded again of what an intelligent, articulate guy he is.  The assembly that crew yesterday was pretty amazing - the depth of mountaineering and running talent and experience it put together in one place was off the charts.  Admittedly I was a bit star struck.  In some regards, my runs in Boulder after being here for nearly 20 years are not much different than when I went for one of my first jogs and saw Frank Shorter. 

I got to enjoy Joe G was telling stories about the UTMB race that were not unusual about ultrarunning, but the way he told the story had us in stitches.   I got to meet Skurka, and wonder why he is crazy underrated as a runner with a 15:01 5k, sub 19 and second place at LT100 …  I guess it is  because of his epic Alaska hike.  There was Ralston was grinning ear to ear the whole time and throwing out the expected and unexpected jokes about his arm.  Homie, as usual, barely dressed for the weather (although we all got caught in the cold) and was his quiet happy self – the guy has forgotten more about mountaineering than most will ever learn.  And Jeff (his post), as usual seemed to easily glide up the 40% grade stuff as if it were a sidewalk.  It pretty much left Bruce and I to be the lugs of the group.

Mid afternoon – 7.2 miles.  My legs were heavy and actually a bit sore from yesterday.  I ended up following a set of chalk arrows that someone had put together for a run here in town (for about a 2.7 mile loop).  I sort of can’t resist that trap … when I see the chalk arrows on the sidewalks, I feel compelled to see what folks had in mind.  Yes, this could be used to trap me some day I guess.

I had to get back to the house to get JZ to his piano lesson, but I added in 3 more while he was doing that.

So this happened today:image
In the ultra community there is some debate as to whether Leadville is still holding to the traditions of ultrarunning – in part because it is viewed by some as a money making machine now.  I wonder if folks see the irony in this … maybe they forget why the LT100 came to be in the first place? 

People now seem pissed that there is a lottery … but they were pissed when the race was too large and the course was overrun.   So they are taking a step to manage that (and yes, charging to manage that) – a lottery - but that gets critiqued as well. 

Yeah, I get it when your race changes and it does not have the allure it once had.  I have had races like that, and I have bitched about them too.  Imogene was on that list for me for a bit.  To some extent I am still struggling with that with the USATF stuff as well, but I realize (and so am trying to learn that) that a.) racing in these events (or not) are very much a so called “first world” problem b.) I can run and race where ever I want essentially.  c.) people run and race (or not race) for different reasons at different locations in different events (and the reasons can change). It is all running so there is a sense of sameness, but it is personal for all of us, and so very different.  We can respect that. 

20 comments:

  1. Really psyched to read that you've thrown your hat into the LT100 ring. Will be fun to watch the prep and pre-racing hand-wringing. I'm with you on all the LT100 complaining. The race was created to bring attention and $$ to the town. It's working. That said, I do get the sense that the race owners need some significant PR help w/ the running/racing community. No real reason to continuously piss off that crowd. Some simple over-explaining and a few platitudes (which probably feel like a heavy lift to those guys) would go a long way to easing the interwebs complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This I agree on. It seems to echo a societal approach about saying nothing, not apologizing (that has become more the approach in the last decade) ... but in any case, they could do a better job on speaking up.

      Delete
    2. +1 to what Jim said. GZ, psyched that you've made the plunge.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Wyatt. If I make it in, I will look to pick yer brain on tactics.

      Delete
  2. Jim: All excellent points re: the LT100 complaining. I couldn't agree more.

    GZ: Also, excellent points, and I'm excited that you've entered the lottery. I hope to see you at the starting line in August. I wouldn't worry too much about your logistically difficult training schedule... It might not be ideal, but I bet you can make it work and put in a solid effort. There are so many challenges on race day itself, it doesn't really matter if you're only 90% fit-- that's well within the margin of error!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all over the map on my thinking with that. One day I think even with the limitations I have, I am doing more than most. And other days I think I am totally and inevitably looking at a near 1.5 day walk in August.

      Delete
  3. Good that you are throwing your name in the hat. Will be interesting to see how many people enter the lottery and the number of race slots.

    As an aside, it does seem like Leadville is being pretty generous in terms of other ways to get into the 100. It will certainly not be like WS in terms of trying to race your way in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are race in options for Leadville too as I gather. I have contemplated if a trip to Austin might be necessary for me.

      I am interested in seeing how many folks will look to Triple. (PPA, PPM, and Leadville) (no, I won't do that).

      Delete
    2. My comment may not have been clear. I know there are spots to get into Leadville via races. I meant that they are easier to come by (20+ slots/race) compared to getting into WS in one of the Montrail races.

      I don't know if PPA, PPM, and Leadville would be much harder than PPM and Leadville. Have to figure the down is when all the damage will be done...

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I agree with you on that Nick. PPA takes something out of you, but comparably ... not that much.

      Delete
  4. Well, looks like you won't be getting a christmas card from Wyatt!

    I'll always be thankful that Leadville tries to allow anyone in. I should definitely not have been allowed to run that race as my first hundred. And I absolutely, definitely shouldn't have been allowed to try the mountain bike race. Kudos to those guys for giving a shit about the non-elites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem to be part of the argument against the lottery - is that they did not offer preferential treatment to vets. I don't get how this gets encapsulated with Leadville not holding tradition of ultras - it has been their tradition to let any moron line up that can pay up.

      Delete
  5. Hell Yeah to you throwing your name into the lottery and complaining about Leadville! I hate the Leadville 100 simply because it owned me 3 years ago. There will be payback soon enough. Other then that, I think it's an awesome race and I could care less about all the politics (good and bad) surrounding it.

    Do hope you get in so I can read 8 plus months of you second guessing all your training leading up to race day. Can't wait to read about you running 20 miles on a treadmill on some boat in the middle of the Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 miles on the boat at least twice.

      Second guessing ... also at least twice. Maybe three times. No more than five.

      Delete
  6. Leadville. That is stout.

    JV's run sounds cool. A central Rockies who's who of MUT running.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on throwing your hat in the LT100 ring, hope you get in. I'm with the rest of these folks, looking forward to following along!

    Leadville will always be a classic ultra, everything about the race and town is a little quirky and Ken was always in it for the money. Lifetime is just continuing the tradition...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian! Someone told me that the true roots of ultras go back to old school ped races ... which were all about gambling.

      Delete
  8. Ooooo....add me to the list of those who hope you get in. Looking forward to the training updates - and the 2nd (and 3rd) guessing posts. Those will be the ones I pull all my old emails from you out and send you some great GZ quotes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuthin like one getting their own medicine back! Thanks Jill!

      Delete