It is the same as it used to be, but perhaps tinged with quite a bit more of a realistic view. It is sort of fun to watch the thoughts come in and out and my assessment of each of them.
I haven't raced in a long time. Certainly not this year. Doing a race creates its own weather patterns in my head. Some good, some not so good, but probably none bad. I haven't avoided races because I don't want to, but I haven't leaned into going to get any done either. I should swing back to that a bit more ... it is a healthy thing for me ... as long as I am healthy about it.
I haven't raced in a long time. Certainly not this year. Doing a race creates its own weather patterns in my head. Some good, some not so good, but probably none bad. I haven't avoided races because I don't want to, but I haven't leaned into going to get any done either. I should swing back to that a bit more ... it is a healthy thing for me ... as long as I am healthy about it.
I was asked if Pikes is the hardest race I have ever done. I think the hardest race you ever do is the one that you do the hardest. I have done 800 meter races that have hurt pretty damn bad. And there are 100 milers that sting pretty good too. Both can be hard.
The recovery however is different. :)
I do love Pikes. It is absolutely brutal. I am a bit of a wreck today but I am on the mend. My right ankle seems to be the worst of all of it, but its okay. I am still somewhat pleasantly surprised that I didn't wipe out and rip skin.
It is pretty clear to me that if I am going to approach this sort of thing at all with any degree of expected improvement from where I am at, I will need to ... uh, actually train on hills, get to altitude ... and get on leg weight work. I have some sort of deficiency in the strengths of my hamstrings. When I consider it, I could see that for years, maybe decades if I am honest ... but the degradation that comes with age has made it more obvious.
I took Monday off.
No comments:
Post a Comment