Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday 050908, Bear

It's FRIDAY.  I hesitate to say I have had a long week, because I am a corporate weenie.  After all, I am not digging ditches or cleaning bathrooms or flippin' burgers.  Nope.  I am laptop, cell phone, wireless connectivity, ear bud kind of geek.  My hands are soft.  But (there is always a but), it was one of those weeks that seemed a bit longer because I had to tell more people "no" than usual.  And of course, there is some effort in doing this because people don't want to hear "no."  They want to hear "yes."  And yes, we should drive to yes, but sometimes no is the most realistic of the possibilities with the time, scope and dollars we are willing to spend.  Not hard work, but it wears on you after a bit.

I got pinged that I must have a lot of time to train and blog as much as I do.  Being a corporate weenie, I do have a good deal of flexibility with my schedule (which on whole is a good thing, but it can have its detriments).  It helps that I can get wireless connectivity nearly anywhere these days (like the Ranger Cottage at Chautauqua).  I do also have an incredibly supportive family (this cannot be said enough).  And I do try to make it fit in by making as much of training as possible as invisible to them (getting on the treadmill at 9PM the other night for example).  It is never completely invisible, but I try.

Anyway, various tidbits ...

Did Bear today.  Started out of the trailhead out on Eldorado road, up Towhee, to P5050212Mesa, to Shadow Canyon.  Reached the saddle in 49, to in 56.  Came back down in 38 and change for a round trip in 94.  This is a rather nice run - good climbing, some pieces that require big step ups, some flatter sections, some steeper sections and the trail is in decent shape.  I did Shadow in 27.  Not super zippy, but if memory serves me correct I was getting this in 23, 24 last year.  If I could extend a bit, I could get that right now.

4 comments:

  1. so, are you back to running then? what's the deal? i do like the whole invisible training thing - i must work on that a little more...i won't however mention anything about the "soft hands".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife says I have soft hands and that I have never worked a day in my life. She is probably right. Not much for callouses on these buggers.

    I have a PT appt next week - where we determine next steps. Ugh. I can't say I am really running. I am moving quickly, but I really only have one gear. I don't go above that gear because I can't / won't. Maybe it is a MAF gear?

    ;)

    KW - I have been reading your posts. I feel for you ... it is super hard to do it all - particularly because I know you are a person that wants to do it all well ... Mom, teacher, athlete, wife, friend ... you have your own DECATHLON going on over there every day in life. And you are the better person for it!

    Keep livin' it lady!

    GZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. being a corporate weenie... or IT geek in my case, and being able to work remotely makes training much easier.

    Last week I was working in the car on the way up Oakley while my friend drove...you've got to love embedded EVDO.. I had connectivity the whole way... Most of the guys I work with probably thought I was in the office not on my way to score some shades! you gotta love the electronic leashes.

    I have had plenty of manual of labor jobs too... construction/framing, landscaping, mover (worst job of all time), dishwasher, and when I was in the coast guard I spent the better part of a year sanding the rust off of and painting the the USCG Cutter Confidence... I'll take my laptop, cell phone, and late nights any day!

    the stevia switch is going well. I still have a daily diet soda but that's about it... I havent noticed any difference in how I feel but less chemicails in my body has to be getter... right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coast Guard?! I learn something new about you all the time. I was in the USAF, although I never had to scrub the B-52s I worked on (although I did have to install a super secret system called GPS back in the 80s).

    I need to try the stevia.

    ReplyDelete