Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Short shorts

The Daily Camera had an article on "running fashion" today.  My take:  I have got to wear the split shorts for races.  These are sometimes called short shorts.  They have fallen out of fashion and they flip today's average weekend warrior athlete out, as it exposes a wee bit more leg than they want to see.

There have been the occasions with the mountain races where I have gone with something longer, but that is because those shorts typically can carry more stuff (gels, gloves, hat, etc) that I might need in such an event.   But typically, give me the Euro styleventpictures_950581_adjustede side splits.  Running in those soccer style or basketball style (well, 90s and beyond basketball style) shorts that go past the knee, it ain't for me.  I am wearing my shorts because they function well and are comfortable.  I need all the advantage I can get and I don't need to move additional material around on my legs.

I am past the days where I can judge a racer like a book cover and determine if I can beat them based on their short selection (guy with white cotton t shirt that says Bolder Boulder 2007, long shorts and 200 dollar Nikes that are bleach white pure as they have been out of the box 10 minutes -  still ain't beating me - hernia or not)

Yeah, I know that sight of my Lilly white near hairless thighs makes people throw up in their mouth.  That is understandable. But I gave up worrying about that along sometime ago, and at that time also embraced wearing dark wool socks with sandals and shorts while I cut the lawn. 

My wonderful wife still rolls her eyes when I wear my running shorts to the pool though.  She rather that I wear a more traditional bathing suit.  I wear my running shorts because they work and they dry pretty quickly.  I will continue to wear them to the pool until I find a Speedo that I really like.

4 comments:

  1. A Speedo that you really like? Come on, you mean there are Speedos that you don't like?!?

    Geo, I wish you were healthy and not doubling at Pikes. I think we could have a true road v. trail showdown. You run hills and trails every day. I run around Wash Park, City Park, and Cheesman Park and maybe get on the trails on Sundays. I'm hoping to change gears in time for Pikes, but still, it won't be anything like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: Speedo, HA HA HA!

    I would be worried more about the headband first.

    Naw just kidding, Lance Armstrong comes to mind - I watched a lot of the Boston Marathon and I don't think I ever saw his knees with those back yard basketball style hip hop shorts.

    But then again he ran a lot faster than I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GZ-
    A split decision: I prefer the longer shorts, but I'm big on the dark colored socks and sandals with shorts or pants. Now that I think about it, I'm flaunting them. I think it's more old school (Euro) than tourist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful what you say about people in a cotton shirt and long shorts, I've seen Dave wear both ;).

    Matt even wears cotton socks, oh the shame.... oh wait, you do to.

    ReplyDelete