Sitting at the Silver Saddle Hotel with Andy A watching the Olympics. Scott Elliott is crashing here but he ain't racing. Weather looks pretty sketchy for tomorrow, with snow expected above treeline. I am prepping to wear a long sleeve under the singlet and will probably go with the gortex jacket in tow. Half tights for the legs. I fully expect to be dealing with some misery on the upper stretches but that is part of the game. I will some other gear decisions in the AM based on what the sky and the weather looks like.
When I look at myself, I am oddly relaxed. I realize the ridiculousness that I am about to engage on but it is almost as if someone else is doing it ... and so I am not worried about it. I am going to get out there and have fun ... and start digging at Barr Camp. Current plan in my head is to start it up with Lisa G and see how I feel when we get to Barr Camp. But I don't have any pre race jitters. That might change when I get to the line.
Buzz Burrell and KOM Matt Carpenter.
Looking up Ruxton Canyon from Manitou. Pikes is in there somewhere.
The evening panel speakers ... a guy who has Doubled 22 times, a woman who has done it like 20 times, Buzz and Scott E (won the Ascent 8 times).
Finally, Phelps did not win the 100 fly. I don't know what that BS was, but he did not win it.
Man I hope you don't get stuck on top tomorrow. (I made it okay on my flights today and am typing this from my COS hotel). If you can't get quickly down tomorrow, it could make it even more tough than usual for the doublers.
ReplyDeleteSee you somewhere on Ruxton...
get it dog!
ReplyDeletethe phelps race was nuts, but I think he just did manage to edge that dude out...
can't wait for the race report.
stay warm!
Results up (preliminary) on the PP Message Board.
ReplyDeleteI set my alarm for 5:30am and jogged up Ruxton about a mile to watch the starts.
Weather was perfect for a race in terms of temperature. But it was raining pretty good, so you know what that means up on top - I think they were still forecasting quite a few inches of snow up there.
2 guys came by blazing 30 seconds out front already just 1 mile in.
George was in the 2nd group, which looked kind of like a peloton, wich about 30 people stretched out - he was towards the front half of that group.
2:48 and change, I believe right in where he wanted. Can't wait to hear the in race weather report from him, I can only imaging. It looked more like the start of a 100 mile ultra with all the gear people were carrying.
I see only 1 doubler ahead of George, and only by 2 minutes.
GREAT RUN!
I hope you aren't getting stuck up top in the weather and are able to get down ASAP.