Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saturday 121308 15 miles



My stomach was doing flips from the trip to Woody's last night - and also requiring the lighting of several scented candles in the house.  It was pretty bad.  I love Woody's Pizza.  It does not love me.

Headed over to Louisville for the Solepepper run, got there a bit early to add in some extra credit.  For the run, ran easy with Kerrie, shooting the shit about training, schools, families
 - made an hour or so fly by.  I tacked on a bit more at the end to round it out at 15 miles, 1:53.

KZ had a concert today at Hammonds Candy Factory.  There was a whole to-do down there.  We went of course to check out KZ's concert - but we got an added bonus of getting a tour through the back of the candy factory.  I did not expect much and was actually against the idea at first but it was pretty cool.  As it turns out, Hammond's is the largest hand made hard candy
 manufacturer in the world.  I guess I just love assembly line production.

First, we had to wear hairnets ... it is food production of course.















The hot "candy" mix is cooked with whatever flavor, etc , and then poured onto a cooling plate.















It is cooled and manipulated into large manipulable chunks.















Then it is spun and stretched into a cords (my term)















This large bugger is then spun and stretched into rope that can be used to make candy canes, lollipops, etc.













































In this shot the woman on the right is taking the cut rope, spinning it into a circle.  The guy in the middle is putting a stem into the lollipop, and the woman on the end is shaping it into a heart.  These will be heart shaped lolipops for Valentines Day.















Down to packaging















Food
AM - nothing before the run ... my stomach was too angry.  Post run, I made up smoothies (banana, grapefruit, apple, broch, yogurt, blueberries, carrots, orange, and some apple juice)

PM - some more smoothie and some pumpkin bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment