Gorgeous morning. Jogged over to BHS track for a warm up and then did 10 x 200m strides. 8 miles total. I love the mountains, but I love the track as well.
Going to try to make these a regular occurrence to keep a little of the pop, as it seems to be slowly slowly but consistently slipping. 37.8, 37.9, 37.1, 37.5, 36.3, 36.0, 35.7, 35.4, 35.3, 34.4. Took a VERY slow 200m jog between each for recovery (like 12m/m pace), except a longer (bio break) after number 5. Not super quick on these 200s but we’ll see if working these helps over a few weeks.
I clearly need to get better at doing core, and some ballistics stuff to address this. Got some feedback from Kevin T on ballistics that I will try to incorporate – but frankly – I have been failing on all the “little extras” front.
I posted about getting hailed on last week … Rick let me know that I need to stop my whining. OUCH!
Today’s reading … I felt like I was in a Dr. Seuss book
PM – very easy five miles on the treadmill. AHR = 130 (yes, that easy).
Racing at high altitude podcast. Digging into this … need to listen to it again. On one the Barkley.
Do yourself a favor and take it easy (not, "I just ran easy for 10 miles") the next few days. You'll need every single muscle cell for Saturday. You're going to be looking at a minimum of ten hours straight of running and these, even short, speed sessions will come back to haunt you.
ReplyDeleteGreat photo of you and mini-Z.
Tim
ReplyDeleteGood point and one I have been debating in my head.
I am not looking to kill GC by any stretch of the imagination. Really, I am looking to explore the long long run, and happen to have one of the greatest spectacles on this planet to do it in.
So given that, I am actually contemplating how much to taper - if at all - for this. There will be some forced taper anyway with the ride down ...
oy, vey.
ReplyDeleteTim -
ReplyDeleteYou can lead a horse to water...
JRP
Jim P - your take?
ReplyDeleteDude, you're fine. It's not a race; it's just a long day out in the desert. So yeah, be sure to go in with the same type of freshness in your legs that you would desire going into a hard workout, but certainly expect to hike ~13 of the 42 miles (~45mi if you're coming back up Bright Angel?).
ReplyDeleteIt'll be a long-ass day in a beautiful place and a great intro to what getting out there and keeping moving all day is all about. Have fun; I wish school would allow me to join you guys. Just DON'T pound the downhills and DON'T skimp on the salt. You have plenty of S-caps, right?
If you go easy enough, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. :-)
T
Nice new header pic!
ReplyDeleteI always like to peruse Jay Johnson's videos for ideas:
http://vimeo.com/coachjayjohnson
Anton - very much my thinking. We got s-caps and we are doing the Kaibab both ways. A long day in the desert for sure ... expect to be totally worked at the end of it, but I am not tapering in for it like a race.
ReplyDeleteAndrew - J^2 stuff is good. I just need the discipline to apply it.
Good Luck this weekend GZ, and the new pic with the little man is cool. Is this the mini-Z that told you not to take any lip from Pikes? I still crack up about that one....
ReplyDeleteYeah. I gave that back to him when he was moaning about his legs post his 5k. :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, it'll be pretty easy, just pop some s-caps.
ReplyDeleteJealous of your GC trip. Post a good report, I'll be down there in May. Lots of good breweries if you're driving, FYI.
ReplyDeleteI fall in Tim's camp. Keep running, but stay out of the red zone. Freshness and pop, what you'd seek from a race taper, isn't your priority...having the reserves to push through fatigue and discomfort will be.
ReplyDeleteNo doubt you'll be able to slog through anything, irrespective of what you do this week. But, you might have a little more left at the end to hoist beer bottles at the car if you stay out of the red zone this week.
On the other hand, Tony certainly knows his stuff. He did say, "go easy enough..." But, he did just do a 6-hour, 43-mile run on a piece of bread for breakfast and five gels on the run. Virtually inconceivable to us mere mortals...
I'm envious of the run to come. Have a great time. Can't wait to read the reports.
JRP
On the other hand, what the hell do I know? I just ran my first true marathon in Salida last month.
ReplyDeleteJim - thanks. No sweat. I cannot say what is exactly right as this weekend will be new territory for me. That said, I feel confident given my approach of lower mileage on the front end of the week, and then a forced taper via the drive, and the fact that I am not racing this week ... "I ought to be fine."
ReplyDeleteWith an ought to be fine meaning I will be crying like a two year old for a good part of the day.
George, have fun in the GC, and just remember to keep moving and fueled. Can't wait to hear about the fun. Oh, and I'll be racing 600 or 700 miles upriver. I'll send a floater your way.
ReplyDelete