Saturday, April 10, 2010

Various news and links

Work has been extraordinarily busy, and so some of my blog cruising and net surfing has been a touch hampered.  Just catching up on some of these interesting reads.

Back country travelers might be required to carry poop bags.  Interesting read for me because I have always just dug a hole, or did the rock smear thing.  Given our upcoming San Juan river trip, we have a “groove box” that we will use for the week.  Whole new experience there.

Bummed out?  Go exercise.  Might explain why you get bummed out when injured.

Boston kings show the secret training … (last year)

5k training … Good stuff from Magill, although I am more inclined to go a set distance than a specific time for the shorter stuff.

Ron Hill interview.  You gotta keep moving. Sometimes it hurts. … I saw a woman who said, "Running's not good for your knees." I said: "Okay, but I've got 150,000 miles on these knees and they're working quite well." She said: "That's only because you're so slim." I said: "Well, how do you think I got this slim, and stay this slim?"

3 comments:

  1. I like the poop bag idea (the article is funny as hell, too). I cringe and think, "raw sewage" every time I read some dolt write proud as hell about crapping in public. People, you are not 2 years old and it's not cute. It's damn disgusting and with the over population sharing public spaces we need to leave it as it is just like littering. Thanks, GZ, for sharing that post and allowing me to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. The poop article and your comment about me and the dark.

    Nice work on the 5k. Do you do speedwork?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speedwork ... I guess it is all dependent on what you mean by that. I am certainly not doing the 4 x mile or 6 x 800 or 12 x 400 stuff I have done in the past. And, I think that some of that stuff is necessary for 5k success. That said, I have been doing some striders, and the 20-40 minute tempo runs. In January, Feb, before the calf thing, I also was doing some three minute hill stuff ... but that was at a pace of 7:30. So in some regards yes, and in some regards no.

    ReplyDelete