Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday 071510

Last night as I was leaving Boulder, I swung through Band on the Bricks.  This is one of those typical outdoor concerts, in the summer – gets everyone out.  Hundreds of folks out enjoying a summer night, dancing, eating … good stuff.  I watched it for a moment from the street.  And then noticed Scott Jurek jogging by.  He is skinny.

Got my Barr Trail Mountain Race email today.  JT is calling me out to break 2:01 for a brew.  In any case, there appears to be a post award assembly get together at the Kinfolks down there.  Hope to meet some folks there and not have my tail too far between my legs.

Lots of chatter starting up about Pikes races of course.  Kenyans in the Ascent, Gates, Parr, etc, and rumor of other big guns.  Same thing on the Marathon side … honestly I have not done my typical studying of / pouring over the entry lists, BY DESIGN.  Specifically, I am trying not to be too excited over all of it, but with the smell of BTMR on the air, I can feel that it might be time.  Maybe some predictions next week. 

Mileage down a little bit this week (43 through today thus far versus say a more recent typical 60) … a bit by design as I don’t want to totally overdo it going into Barr next week.  But post that, I will make the remainder of July the 14hr a week, 100 mile week, 5-10k climb efforts (week).  Of course, still pretty minor compared to some.  3400 plus miles in the first side of the year … sheesh.

AM – headed out to Idaho Springs (more on why in a moment) and was running there by 7AM.  Many years ago, I did a race here from Central City called the “Oh My God” run, and decided to head back up that road.  Virginia Pass Road was pretty easily found out of town.  After a 20 minute warm up, I went into 7 x 3 minutes on, 2 minutes off, with all of that being gentle climbing (a consistent 6 percent grade) up to just under 9400 feet.

Was not ripping it, but getting good work in each rep (HR was +170 in each).  Coincidently, after the 7th rest, I topped out the road (or at least it started to descend again for a period of time).

image
Some shots from that …

12 miles with about 1900 feet of climbing (with all of the climbing in the first six of course).

P7150006

P7150008P7150004P7150001

After this I headed across the highway to Laughing Valley Ranch, met with Bill Lee and discussed burros.  We chatted for about an hour about burro racing and various details.  Then we got out for a run with a pair of burros.  I started with Mr. Ziffel, who, after I coaxed up a hill for half a mile (while he stopped several times to eat various weeds and flowers) decided it was time to go back to the barn.  He broke away and sprinted back down the hill at a pace I could not maintain, and so I had to let go of the tether rope (or risk serious injury).  Bill was convinced he was just testing me to see what he could get away with the new guy, but nonetheless, I switched to Jake.  I got the hang of how to drive the burro a bit, and keep him running up and down hill.  In any case, I am game for the Burro Days in a couple weeks and will look to get up for an other training session before then.  4 miles.  With a burro.  And another 1200 feet of climbing.

Some pix.

   P7150009 P7150010 P7150013   P7150016 P7150017 P7150018 P7150019 P7150021

7 comments:

  1. I saw him as well! Didn't realize it until right now though. It's a good thing too, because I probably would have hyperventilated, and that wouldn't have been good for anyone.

    Sweet hair he has though. He definitely wins every race in the "Bitching Hairdo" category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - he is definitely nearly sportin' a 'fro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Switch back to Mr. Ziffel. It's a much more entertaining name to have to yell when he takes off on you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Mr. Ziffel wants to go, I'm up for a showdown...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin - I think we could talk Bill into bringing a burro to the race the day of if you are interested. Based on my experience today however, I'd recommend that one build a relationship with the ass before engaging in a competition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I'd recommend that one build a relationship with the ass before engaging in a competition."

    That's my strategy with the ladies. Wonder if that has something to do with my bachelor status.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on, you think Jake is going to remember you in two weeks? We're talking about ass here.

    I can't believe others don't want in on this action. Forget about the TTs, this should be fun.

    ReplyDelete