Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday 081710

Well, there is fresh snow on Pikes as of yesterday. WSJ article on Pikes.

Had a dream last night that I was running Pikes. Things were going well until I got to the A-Frame. When I got there I discovered Matt Carpenter with a shovel and he had dug up a whole area and piled the rocks and dirt up over the trail to create a new hill before the summit. This hill went up to 13000 feet. Weird dream.

AM - six miles. Still up in the air how this is going to play out. Legs, lungs body feels fine. Left wheel is still compromised with a toe issue. For a 5k, or even a road half marathon, no problem. A mountain marathon with 7800 pounding down feet ... I am not wholly confident. Left knee is grumbling too which is highly unusual. What it comes down to ... this clears by Sunday, or not.

Article on Ward re: Pikes.

JZ started school today and KZ starts tomorrow. School starting in August? Sheesh.  Anyway, our brick at the flagpole.P8160007
JZ ready to roll.
P8170016
 
I don’t exactly know what caused it but I finally got Live Writer and Sport Tracks to run again (they stopped working back on the 6th).  I ended up having to deinstall IE 8, install it and run the Microsoft Automated Troubleshooter tool.  Along the way though I reinstalled all sorts of crap, including Garmin Drivers, .NET, the broken apps themselves … crikey.
 
 
Here comes the taper …
 
image

15 comments:

  1. YES! Snow. Sweet.
    I would have thought Matt C would have made the hill higher. He must be getting old... In your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As can be the case in dreams there was weird shit going on. Matt was there with the shovel and a wheel barrow, piling up rocks from the normally 12000 foot A frame to 13000 feet. But then you had to come back down it to get to the summit of Pikes at 14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great loopy dream.

    There was a definite chill in the air yesterday evening, hiking Green with my brother from Illinois. I remarked that I'm going to be watching snowstorms fall on the Indian Peaks while running pretty soon. Long sleeves are not too far off, even down here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "trail training raises a question that rarely comes up ahead of flat-land races: How many pull-ups can you do?"

    Really?

    Bit of a silly article. They should stick to reporting business news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WSJ? That's odd. Maybe that snow will freeze your feet so you can set the fastest time down without feeling it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely getting chilly Mtnrunner2. But we still have Indian Summer ahead. In other words ... I am betting we have at least another week where we dance with triple digit temps.

    Nick - yeah, odd article but I expect that sort of thing in the non running circles. So how many can you do?

    Patrick - I'd LOVE for the there to be snow up high.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can do 5 pull-ups. When I was 8 years old, I could do 13. Of course back then, I was a blue badge recipient of the Presidential Physical Fitness Challenge award for 3 years in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin - as a roadie, I'm not sure you're qualified for this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick - is there a Queen's Physical Fitness Award in the U.K.?

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, but the Queen's husband offers something similar known as the Duke of Edinburgh Award. Pretty sure the Presidential award was a rip-off of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like Nick is avoiding the pull up question!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick, I believe you mean the "Duke of Earl." As I recall the lyrics go:

    Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
    Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
    Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
    Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl

    As I-I walk through this world
    Nothing can stop The Duke of Earl
    And-a you, you are my girl
    And no one can hurt you, oh no

    Wow, quite catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Luck Sunday GZ! Maybe will get to meet this time around. I will be at the pasta feed on Saturday night with my friend from Wisconsin that is coming out for the marathon. Hope all your issues resolve before race day! Looks like it will be a warm one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a pull up bar in my house, we can answer the question this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sunday night - it is on.

    Brad - yeah, we gotta meet. Email me at georgezack at that gmail thingie.

    ReplyDelete