Come run the Pikes Peak Marathon.
Now that you are America's fastest marathoner on the roads (even though you are not the AR holder because of the point to point and downhill nature of Boston - which makes sense because I think there are guys who have run sub 3:30 for a MILE downhill and that is not the WR), I suggest that you become America's fastest MOUNTAIN Marathoner. You have done that Boston thing. I doubt the winds will play as nice as they did there again in your career.
There is only marathon race in America with as rich a history as Boston (the oldest marathon in the country) and that is Pikes. And deserves to have its history with your stamp on it.
It is ... First marathon ever to have a officially woman finish it (well before Boston) ... the place where the poem that later became the song "America" was written ... rises to a majestic height of 14115 feet above sea level, climbing over 7800 feet on its course ascent ... a place where athleticism, toughness, grit, and ability to breathe when there is no air is tested ... home to classic battles where one's name gets branded into mountain running history ... where you get a true downhill test when you bomb back to Manitou Springs absorbing 7800 feet of gravity into your spine. And teeth.
Come to this race and break 2 hours on the Ascent. Break 3 for the round trip. I will contribute 100 dollars to your appearance fee and I will get 19 more to do the same. You could donate the funds to your charity. Challenge other runners - Dathan, Alan, Solinsky, Flanagen, Goucher ... make then show if they can really grit it out.
You should be recovered in time for the Olympic Trials.
GZ
I'll help with the appearance fee. And I'll gladly offer crash space to Flanagen and/or Goucher.
ReplyDeletePing him on Twitter...@ryanhall3
ReplyDeleteWould a 2:04 marathon qualify him for wave 1? Either way, the race is full for 2011....
ReplyDeleteI have close to 1000 in possible pledges now ... if he breaks 2 and the marathon record.
ReplyDeleteI'll be there. Make sure they are all in unmarked Canadian $100 bills.
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Ryan