Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday 052511

AM – got a good night sleep, but yet another too wonderful dinner. I am sort of in shape but sort of not. The meals I have been enjoying a bit too much of as of late ain’t helping. II don’t do well on tests of character when the beer list (page 1 of 16 – seriously) looks like this. 

IMG-20110525-00293

I sort of care but I sort of don’t. Anyway …

Got out this morning and headed towards Lullwater. I got a taste of this park the other night, and I hoped to gobble it up a bit more now that I had the route to it dialed in.

About a 1/4 mile into the run the GPS died. Oh yeah, never charged it yesterday.

But it was sort of liberating to be free of knowing exactly how far I went and how fast. This run suddenly became a true fartlek. I ran hard until I needed rest. And then I rested until I wanted to run hard again. Repeat. It was … awesome.

Lullwater is truly a gem. Thick green forests with delicious tasty slurpy single track. The trails of the east – ah, I have missed something about them. Their roots, rocks, lack of switchbacks, lack of grooming, their bugs attacking you (inhaled 3) and the leaves of plants reaching out to sting you. Seriously – loved it. Apparently the Emory College President lives the part of the park that is well groomed (and those big green fields are pretty neat too). Good kicks if you can get the gig.

And then of course you just see stuff here that you don’t see on Colorado trail runs (duh GZ):

IMG-20110525-00289 IMG-20110525-00290
IMG-20110525-00291
Lots of this:
IMG-20110525-00292

Guessing, based on how long I was out there, the effort pace feel that it was 12 miles.

And oh, yeah … definitely definitely … you sweat a lot here.

Funny read about a guy, a bike and his run in with a cop.

Significant snow up on the peak.

PM – three miles, super easy.  Burp.

13 comments:

  1. "delicious single track"...

    Please never say that again.

    You should try chromium polynicotinate (Google it) with big meals. It goes a long way in preventing insulin spikes. Vitamin Cottage, it's cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, CLICK HERE for a summary of chromium polynicotinate.

    I would also click on the 'side effects' tab to learn more. It looks like you might want to hold off taking this until your next ovulation cycle to make sure you're not pregnant.

    Also, it says it may make pshychiatric conditions worse. So you might find your TURRETS worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett - where do you come up with that stuff? Damn.

    Lucho - looking forward to the FKT report today. Hey - I changed the single track thing for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No FKT attempt today, tomorrow maybe. I can't decide which delicious trail to try though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suggest the middle route. The front side is just dumb steep (even though I protested when Clark said that at last years run up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Formatting screwed up above)
    Heh, bike and cop, I thought you were going to refer to this local story, in which everybody was at fault...

    Also: have you tried the Flying Biscuit cafe (no joke) in ATL for awesome breakfast???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you sweat just as much in CO, it just evaporates, then you don't get bugs stuck all over your body - it's pretty nasty, as far as that goes, in the SE right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike - not going to make it there for breakfast. I am trying to capture as much time in the morning for a run (and with the 2 hour diff, it is a little challenging).

    Rick - good call, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn, those are some great prices on the menu! 10% ABV for $4.00? I would have been f'n smashed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably why this AM's run was a bit sluggish ... those were 8 oz on a lot of those though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait... Lucho the Trail Taster objects to the phrase "delicious single track"? What's wrong with this picture?

    Or maybe there's some dirty double-entendre I'm not getting?

    Page 1 of 16... Rock on! It's a good time to be alive and liking good beer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Porter Beer House in Little Five Points if you ever make it out there.

    ReplyDelete