Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday 021812

This past week at work has been one of the more mentally intense weeks I have had in a week.  It has been very good, but some routine has been broken a bit.  Totally worth it of course, but I have been behind on some other tasks as a result.

On top of this the kids have had the typical things going on:  piano, a musical play at school, a presentation as the character Stonewall Jackson.  Good stuff. 

P2180060
KZ had a little blonde girl come sit right up next to her after her song.  Fan clubs got to start somewhere I guess.
A bit more atypical was that JZ completed Cub Scouts on Friday, and crossed over into Boy Scouts.   It was very cool to see him happy about that step.  I know that Scouts gets the eye roll by some, and it is not for everyone, but it is a thing JZ enjoys as a way to camp with his buddies.  I dig that, but I appreciate more how that medium sets up for on going character development opportunity in the community.

    Photo courtesy of John B.
P2170055
P2170019
P2170018

So I run near this spot a lot.  When I get cancer, it should be pretty easy to connect the dots.

Trail runner stats that I stole as a link from Wiley’s blog.

Lots of chatter and thing popping in my email this week as the kid j has declared his 2012 schedule.  The white spandex show comes to Manitou.  Let the speculation begin.

Apparently while I have been away from the interwebs, Google made comment verification words insanely hard to read.  They must be looking to make those more secure but they have not fixed blog rolls yet.

Zoom in, zoom out post by WS100 director Craig T is pretty good.

9 comments:

  1. You daughter has a beautiful voice ... and congrats to your son on his "graduation" .. and his confederate speech - so cute :).

    We almost bought a house in 1991 at Rock something or another up near Rocky Flats. When we went to sign the papers, we were told we'd have to sign a waiver that we wouldn't sue anyone if we ever started glowing because there was a possibility the water could eventually become contaminated. Um...we'll move down South, thanks though.

    I thought new crazy word verification thingie was something I inadvertently did. Cuz that's something I could totally see myself doing on my computer and not know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the negative undertones related to Scouting. But, as an Eagle Scout I think Scouting was a great use of my time because it helped facilitate growth in independence, leadership, cooperation, the ability to set goals and achieve them, etc. By all means, have some fun the next couple of years especially if JZ is involved in a Troop with a healthy environment, he likes it, and you don't perceive any directly negative attributes to the group!

    Scouting was as much fun for my dad as it was for me, because he grew up in Chicago, only got to Star scout (because his troop disintegrated), and never dreamed of backpacking in Alaska, fly fishing in the Wind Rivers, and trudging through snow in the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill - Rock Creek in Superior. Yeah, not far from here or where I work. I don't profess to know the science of plutonium residue well enough to make a call one way or the other, but interesting nonetheless.

    Thanks for the kind words on KZ and JZ. I blame their wonderful mother.

    John T - I did not know you were an Eagle but I am not surprised. Another local runner that is one is Peter H. The troop JZ is joining is strong with history, numbers and good traditions. We are really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speculation begins. Matt's CR for neither the Ascent nor the full Marathon gets broken this August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to speculate in February, but it would be interesting if MC schooled the youngster. Maybe a pipe dream, but Pikes is not your typical race either. If anyone knows that mountain better than Matt, it would be a surprise. I will be interested in your take, since that space is more your gig ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and quit trying to shake your share of the blame for the great offspring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as speculating, I ain't doing that yet. It is a LONG time before the starting gun goes off. A lot can happen between now and then, and half the race is getting to the line.

    As far as the kids, it is a simple math equation in my head ... if these crumb grabber had grown up with just me, they be a lot less than if they had just grown up with just her. Thankfully, they have had both of us to harass and embarrass 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kids are already a general and a Broadway pro, where do you go from there? :)

    I read that Rocky Flats (so named because they are... rocky... and flat) article, and I have two reactions:

    1) Based on comments, not everybody who is vocal with their opinion knows their science. For example plutonium is not a molecule (which is a group of atoms), and one atom of plutonium does not just sit and emit radiation continually. An individual atom emits radiation when it decays (i.e. 24,000 years average in the case of Pu-239) and that's it. Of course the decay products may also be radioactive, but you get the idea. This does not diminish the effects of a large chunk of radioactive material, which is composed of huge numbers of atoms, but this is why radioactivity diminishes with time: the atoms decay. And the safe levels published by the government cleanup may indeed be safe. I think the claim is it's allegedly only 4 times the background for Colorado.

    2) That still doesn't mean it's safe right near Rocky Flats. There could be concentrations that were missed, and the fact that it has not dispersed and may be getting replenished outside the property isn't comforting. I'd have to be pretty old to risk moving near that plant.

    I wouldn't worry much about your area. Prevailing winds supposedly blow towards Denver ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't worry about it really. But I do run on Indiana occasionally. Right on the edge of it. But I really don't worry about it. Heck, I am at higher risk for a lot of other things based on my behavior. Like running shirtless in the summer a lot.

    ReplyDelete