Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday 091512

I thought I would wake up early and get in a good amount of running before the trip to Dublin.  Instead, I woke briefly at 4AM, called my family (it was 8PM there) and chatted with them for a bit.  They went to bed and I went back to bed too.  I woke up late AM and so a larger window for running and exploring was lost.  I screwed around for a bit – packing and checking on the results of the RRR race before I laced them up to get out for a bit.   I did get in seven however, lumbering around a bit with legs that feel heavy from a week of good food and wine and did enough exploring that I was briefly lost.  Best part was a bus driver pulled over and asked me for directions. 

I learned something about toasting at the table with the French.  You never cross someone else’s toast while you are toasting.  When toasting, you must make direct and clear eye contact.  And you don’t put your glass down until every one has had a drink from their glass.  There might be other rules too, but these were the ones we spoke of.

Also, the French apparently shake your hand at the first meeting of you every day.  So, even though you might work with Bob every day, the first time you see him any day, you shake his hand.  It makes for an interesting start to meetings.  With women, men do the “side kiss” thing instead of the hand shake.

KZ ran in the Liberty Bell XC meet yesterday, and so I got to talk to her about it a bit before she went to bed.  She was pretty stoked as she continues to PR in the 5K, and even bested a team mate she has not beaten thus far this year. 

5 comments:

  1. The small office that I visited in Paris a few times had 4 women and 2 men. The men complained every morning about the formal greeting and the women went about the formality as if it was the best part of their day. Quite funny to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The side kiss thing gets really confusing. In some places it's a kiss on one cheek, but in other places it's either two kisses on each cheek or even three kisses, alternating sides. Imagine my embarrassment when I went for the second cheek, and the other party didn't turn her head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to France; pretty sure I'd mess up all the rules....one, being I don't drink wine :).

    Congrats to your daughter's great race! LB is a fast course as it's run on the Highline and city streets. So much excitement at this race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully, they seem to think the kissing thing is not applicable to guests. So, no kissing for me. Fine with that. I am sure I'd screw it up and sneeze on someone or something.

    She was pretty happy Jill. As she has only been running for four weeks, I see a lot of PRs coming for a bit. Good stuff for her for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRs are good, as they will let her see the positive results of all her hard work. Success breeds hard work and more succes. You should be proud! My kids watched our local CC meet that I worked at a couple of weeks ago. My 10 was going nuts watching it and not being able to run. It sounds like your daughter has that same internal drive, no doubt inherited from her dad.

    ReplyDelete