Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday 092013

image

This was up my street earlier today.  That is not typical.  TPic by Terry Travis.

But good to be home.  I was in that typical haze of being travel fried last night but got a solid sleep (was up at 5 but that is okay).  I was pretty motivated to get some miles in today, and maybe a workout, but I curtailed it with the thought I could race tomorrow.  10.1 miles.  I headed over to the Coal Creek washout near Dillon Road – hoping to hop the trail there and checkout the road collapse. 

IMG_1152 
IMG_1153 
The trail was closed at this location … and in fact all the entries into the space near Coal Creek were closed.  Here is the entrance from Lac Amora (which is in Broomfield).
IMG_1154
It might be hard to see in this shot but there was DOZENS of turkey vultures over the space … it looked to me that they were harvesting prairie dogs and voles and the sort, assumedly drowned in last week’s deluge.
IMG_1155

Still struggling how OPEN space is CLOSED when it is was impacted by NATURE (which is part of why we go there, right?  To see nature?) in a fashion much greater than was our human use typically does to it. 

Other stuff …

Good quick interview with local guy Jason Hartmann, a good read on how “races are turning into parades" and a nutty burpee 5k that Shad sent to me.

Maybe a bit embarrasing but today’s listening was the Crüe …

8 comments:

  1. I've never seen a moose in these parts!

    Wow- I can't get over the damage everywhere. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lize - and it was in BROOMFIELD! What the heck? I wonder if it was also a bit displaced by the weather?

      Delete
  2. How weird, that's the song I used for my show's intro and exit today...
    twilight show stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a little nuts.

      I actually rolled through the entire "greatest hits" album.

      Delete
  3. A girl told me this week she grew up watching MC videos, so I had it in my head before the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls growing up watching Crue videos probably mean trouble.

      Delete
  4. The moose is frickin' awesome! That's maybe 7-8 miles from the mountains. I expect to see these animals in the high country, but not walking around in a subdivision on the plains. Could be the flooding I guess, but I've seen elk in the middle of Lakewood, about the same distance from the hills. Sometimes they just travel.

    The damage is bad. I think we were fortunate to the south because of large reservoirs and maybe less rain. But levels are still way high: Bear Creek Lake was about 25-30 feet (?) above normal, with huge cottonwoods standing half-submerged out in the middle of the water, and entire ravines turned into lakes. Entire parking lots, picnic areas, and trails are deep under water right now. Thank goodness for the huge dam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the OSMP is open now ...

      I am assuming the moose is displaced in part because of the rains. Broomfield is not an ideal habitat for it ... hope it makes its way to a more comfortable place.

      Delete