Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday 102614

There are some stupid rules in running.  Actually, the rules at their basic form are well understood and easily adhered to.  We seem to then create rules on top of that which only create unnecessary strife.  Two examples:  the delay of the start of the 3A XC girls race because of a uniform discrepancy and long hair over the line for a sprinter is “over the line.” 

More on HS XC, including the local HS performance.

Chrissie W has a great read on next challenges.

AM – felt like crud but still managed to move along fairly well.  Just sort of weak, probably a left over from last night’s stomach catastrophe.  I bagged the idea of a long run and kept it at 12 and change.IMG_2566

Finish the week on a bit of a skid, 70 miles.  Not bad given the day of international travel but I had hope to jump on it a bit more.

Week ends with just a While I was away, Justin named me as one of the top 25 most influential people in CO running.  These lists, and other awards, like UROY, are always create some degree of debate because, unlike the very objective contests we engage in (run some distance in some time), these contests are subjective, and open to interpretation of some definition.  Now that I am back, and have had some time to contemplate the matter, I think I will engage in a little project of my own:  25 people who are more influential than me and ought to be on that list.  My list will also be subjective – meaning I am the sole judge of who gets on it and for whatever reasons I deem important.  There will be no particular order to the people I provide.  The point here for me is to recognize those that contribute to the sport in a way I deem as particularly positive in character and accomplishment, either today or historically, and in turn use that as a point of reflection of what I respect and thus strive to be like.  To be fair, there are clearly differences between my approach and the criteria Justin used, but … it is my list.  I will try to do one a day for 25 days, but I might miss a day or two due to other obligations. I welcome input, commentary, and recognition of any particular oversights on my part.  But if I think you are being a butt head, I will drop you from the conversation.  More to come on this space.

13 comments:

  1. I love this idea so much. A blog post you wrote a couple months ago led to more people contacting me about coaching than anything before or since, so I think you have more influence than you can imagine. Crap, you and Lucho introduced me to "real" training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David - I can't say I introduced you to anything! You sir have kept it "real" - particularly in racing. Go out hard, hang on and drive and finish strong! Every one of your race reports reads of that to me. It is incredible.

      Delete
    2. GZ, I met David through this site. Now my training is getting "real-er". Well, as real as it can for a farmer in Oregon. Anyway, your influence reaches beyond CO. I feel creepy going on vacation with the family from time to time but this site is so real and bad ass. your 25 spot is well deserved!

      Delete
    3. I have wondered about if I should post the family stuff. Whenever I chew on that, I conclude that my life is not just about running - and that running impacts my family and my family impacts my running. It is all part of this equation I look to balance ...

      Delete
    4. right on! write on! it's definitely part of what makes the blog so real life. I, for one, am more interested in the type of balance your blog shows than most others do. all most daily posters talk about is working out and being injured... boring!

      Delete
    5. Somewhere in the past I did have a post where I said the same thing - training blogs are boring. I get there purpose but reading that such and such did such and such, well after a bit it gets to be old.

      That said, I have contemplated going that route. Boring training often leads to dramatic results.

      Delete
  2. Is this just going to be a list of your top 25 man-crushes?

    And there's nothing wrong with feeling like CRUD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a pity that you came out as 26 in the preposting polling.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to being in your 25. Also link to chrissie story goes to the wrong link. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex - fixed the link. Thanks for picking that up. http://www.chrissiewellington.org/blog/whats-your-next-challenge/

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about me as one of the top 25! ;)

    Hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - thanks. A bit better this AM. I guess I got in the 25 as I post on this blog a lot. But your blog posts always got TONS of comments. Goes to show how many people you influenced!

      Delete
    2. Well, I think a lot of people read your blog, though just don't comment as a lot of them email you (or remain silent and just nod in agreement :)). Thanks for kind words about my blog. I always wanted to write from my heart ,and I think people saw that. A big reason why I don't blog anymore is because I just can't keep up with those who read mine. But I miss it so maybe soon. Glad you you're feeling a bit better.

      And so far, I love your top 25 local choices!! Spot on!

      Delete