Saturday, May 28, 2016

Saturday 28MAY2016 Georgetown Burro Race

Did the first burro race of the season.  A quick video recap:

A few things I did not mention in the video and a few other items to reiterate:

  • Bob had a good first race with Boog.  He and Boog along with Justin and Yukon were WAY off the front to start and I thought the race was over.  They slowed up and a good number of folks caught up (including Jack and me).  If those guys could keep 1/2 that momentum though they’d be the class of all the field.
  • Good on Justin and Yukon for making a great race of it.  We were in all through out the day until the town / roundabout / highway underpass slowed us but those two cranked on it until the very end to get a victory.  Really Justin and Yukon have to be considered the faves going into the rest of the races given how they ran and rallied today and the experience they have.
  • Huge thanks to TZ and JZ for running the start, running the times, getting the awards assembly going.
  • Thanks to Bob for porting Jack along with Boog up to the race and back today.
  • Thanks to Dave C for continuing to make this farm set up we have possible.
  • Thanks to Brian M for brining in close a dozen new racers.  We had some fast folks – including Shad (2:44 Boston recently), Brandon S (Nolans 14 finisher) and Anita O (winner at Pikes in the past) running today.  It was fun to see them have fun even if they were not crushing the race.
  • Thanks to Tim and Steve for all the saddling they did.
  • All the best to Brad (who is now home) as he recovers from his crazy near three weeks in the hospital with who knows what. 
  • And thanks to Bill Lee for making this race happen.
  • I was pleasantly surprised at how my grizzle held up.  I thought it was a very distinct possibility that I would not be able to finish this race outright because of a complete failure of the Achilles.  I wedged the back of the foot WAY up by cutting up several other insoles (3 of em) to make a heel lift.  It still hurt but it was manageable and I kept it together.
  • My fitness is certainly a bit behind where I am used to it being and I was feeling it a bit on some of the climbs were were running.  Admittedly, I was even lagging on them a bit rather than pressing as I am just in that sort of shape.  If I can get the grizzle to hold though, I think I ought to be able to round into fitness well enough for Fairplay.  But that is a really really really big if right now.  This was my longest run in probably three weeks … and as expected, I felt it!  And that was sort of fun and good.  A little sore from a lack of training, a little rattle in the lungs from a lack of running hard at altitude.
  • Doing all the saddles, getting burros up there … yeesh.  It is a lot more race day stress.  Some of that is good because it keeps you busy.  But when it is 20 plus burros … that is a bit more than I am used to.  I missed Brad.

4 comments:

  1. George, nice job at the burro race. Good to see you back on the race scene. Have you gotten any therapy for the Achilles? It would do you wonders and could get you on a much quicker path to recovery. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two reasons for this (not having got therapy): first I have been pretty busy (graduation stuff for example). But second, and probably more to the point: I am doubtful it would do much.

      Delete
    2. It would work. Dry needling and massage are amazing.

      Delete
    3. FWIW - I am not as convinced. I am not saying they don't work. I am just as convinced they are that great for me. Or at least for the time and money spent. And so I drudge through these things via my own choices.

      Delete