Items of focus lately …
- Getting my new business off the ground. I have categorized what I am doing there into four buckets.
- Pitch / Sales – with my peers, selling the services of my new company to prospective clients
- Infrastructure – setting up the LLC, email, doc system, calendars, payroll, buy/sell and operating agreements, etc.
- Company culture – while I have worked with my colleagues for several years in a corporate setting and trust their character and skill set without question, this setting has pitched us new challenges and we are determining who is better at what and hence does certain types of work, while also navigating new issues of trust
- Actual performing of work – in other words, executing on the services we actually get paid for. All of the above are to support this.
- Getting Jack acclimated to run this season, and down here in a new field in Louisville. Related to this is helping Bill get ramped up with a bunch of prospective runners for burro racers this summer.

- finishing school for the kids which includes getting the senior through graduation, prepping the back yard and house for a party for all the people who came in for that, getting the freshman through finals, ramping up on what is next for Germany (while keeping a now finished senior appropriately focused as there are no lack of other fun things to do …)
- Scouts – planning a trip for two weeks of canoeing in Canada this summer. The canoeing is the easy part. Getting flights, rental cars, med forms, passports, etc is not. (and other Scout camping trips)
- XC/Track assistance – while this has wound down, I have clearly used some of my free time in my transition between jobs to help with the track squad.

… and of course my own running. Which is sort of non-existent at the time. I have been wondering if my Achilles issue is its own stand alone issue (that I think comes about from a failure starting with my lawn mower foot, gets exaggerated by my lack of strength in other mobility directions, gets exaggerated by probably 85k miles on this frame, perhaps a change in my form, another year of aging, etc) or if it is something else. My right elbow has had a connective issue for about the same time (I tweaked it shoveling some really heavy snow) … and so am I dealing with basic inflammation issues? Whatever … I am basically at a point now where if I run I am aggravating an injury and not letting it heal, or if I don’t run I am losing fitness. Duh …
But outside all of this I have been refocusing on my efforts to find the so called “perfect day.” I am not wholly sure what the definition of this completely is other than seeking the right choices in all that I do in a day. That I choose right in my interactions and communications with my family, my co-workers and friends. That I choose right in what I put in my mouth from a diet perspective. That I choose to spend my time and efforts on things appropriately. “Where ever possible, be kind. It is always possible.” In any day I fail. I eat poorly, have an outburst or snarky comment towards someone, or waste time on useless unnecessary activities.

===============================================================
As a part of graduation activities, I learned Boulder Valley School District does not award a valedictorian or similar honor. Apparently some students got so GPA focused on this that you’d end up with a half dozen kids or more that all took the highest weight classes and aced them all and so you’d have that many valedictorians. Because of that and in the spirit of having kids pursue classes that were more appropriate for them, rather than for GPA, BVSD dropped it. BHS did recognize the various cum laude designations and NHS students. Within the the summa cum lauds there were two designated student speakers and I wondered if they were indeed the two top students. I can see and understand why BVSD took this approach but I wonder if we have lost something by not recognizing the “winner.”
===============================================================
Evening – 3 slow miles.
Not to talk shop, but when the time comes to get benefits up and running please consider Delta Dental for your dental plan. I can connect you to someone at the company to help. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Wyatt. We are bit from that but I will keep that in mind.
DeleteRecognizing a "winner" of school never really made that much sense to me. It doesn't really get you anything, and the intent is not to be a competition.
ReplyDeleteYou are way more academically inclined than I ever was or will be and so I respect your opinion on this. While the intent is not a competition, and so the word winner is not the best to use, I do think it is worthwhile to recognize the highest achieving academic student. And I do recognize that there is some competitive nature to that. And I am okay with that too.
DeleteBroomstock High is much better than any school NMP ever attended.
DeleteI agree it makes sense to recognize the "best" student. My point is that if it devolves to the point where it is only a competition it is not very useful since the point is to get an education not "win". There is a big difference between getting good grades and actually learning the information. They should really just make the classes harder so that you don't end up with 10 people with a 4.8 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
DeleteI am sure if I went to a better school I would be able to achieve more in life - like drinking 50 different types of whiskey in a year ;-)
Great post, no wonder I have not seen you in some time ;). I enjoy these behind the scenes breakdowns of what the average (or above average) family guy who works and has outside interests faces day to day. I guess it is comforting to know that I am not the only one spinning a lot of plates ;).
ReplyDeleteThanks JV! Hope to be out in the trail with you soon.
DeleteOh yeah, meant to add, we are all winners and should all get a participation trophy ;).
ReplyDeleteA HS diploma is almost a participation trophy for all.
Delete