Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Tuesday 20FEB2018

Not snowing today, but cold and with the snow down, humid.  There was definitely a bite in the air.

10 easy miles.

I found myself slightly amused and annoyed on my reliance on Strava.  For decades I ran without knowing a true number of miles I ran.  I knew I ran some amount of time and I made a guess at how many miles that was.  I typically guessed it at 7:30 a mile pace and that was probably a fair guess.  There were days certainly slower than that, and there were days that quicker than that.

But then came the foot pods, and then the early GPS watches (that did altitude off of barometric pressure).  And then Garmin.  And Garmin Connect, and then Strava.  And with that I became a bit addicted to making sure I got some number of miles a day.  That is not the fault of Strava, it was a construct I made up in my head. 

I have enjoyed Strava in using it to find routes in locations, or even to create some effort workout based on someone’s FKT.  It has caused me self induced angst when I have seen a segment fall to someone’s bike ride, or a legit performance but that performance is in a geography that I won’t get to for a while.  And I have even had someone specifically look to “roll down” any and all local segments I “had.”  I’d love to say that didn’t bother me but when I saw four days of “GZ segment takedown” emails come in, it was a bit of a tweak to my ego.

I’d say Strava is a fine tool for simply tracking and occasionally motivating but it seems one in ten my runs are not accurately captured anyway (GPS error, my error, gremlins, whatever).  So I sit with mixed considerations for GPS watches, and sites like Strava.  Amused and annoyed.

1 comment:

  1. Same here, such a mixed bag. I often think I would be so much better off ditching the gps/Strava, to just run free and unaccountable, without worrying about sticking to a segment or registering a solid time on that route. It can be a little discouraging to have KOMs taken down too, but sometimes it motivates me for the better, lights a fire under my ass to get after it on occasion. The worst unexpected consequence of all though is that my wife checks in on my Strava from time to time, getting me into trouble. For that alone I may just bail ;)

    ReplyDelete