Had the honor of passing on this piece of Pack Burro History this week to Kirt Courkamp. Kirt with Mary Margaret found “lightning in a bottle” and sealed a Triple Crown win with victories in the FairPlay, Leadville and Buena Vista Pack Burro races. As far as I know, he is the sixth man since this came about in 1978 to accomplish this with Tom Sobol and Ardel Boes having done it in years with burros that are unclear, Bobby Lewis with Wellstone in 2011, Hal Walter and Full Tilt Boogie In 2013 and me with Jack in 2015. Winning a single one of these events is no joke ... to do three over three weeks is a bit of luck, a lot of sweat, and takes a lot of support. It took Jack and me three years to get it right and I think it has taken Kirt and MM about the same.
While at the WPBA dinner where the traveling trophy was awarded, I was given a copy of the Summit Daily. I was told my picture was in it. As it turns out it was more than a pic of the carrot act that Jack and I do, but a write up that reflected how lucky I got to race with Jack better part of this decade.
The saying is that “figures never lie but liars figure...” It is probably not best to look at racing stats from the last decade when the races have going on for seven decades ... and margins of victories don’t mean much when you are second anyway but it does go to show how Jack has been a Hall of Famer: three wins at FairPlay, and the four second places there. Five wins at Leadville and a second place there. A BV win and a Triple Crown. No donkey has been better in the last 10 years.
I have been lucky to have that guy as my guide in this game.
Hat tip again to the current TC winners ... I know you feel as blessed as I do.






No comments:
Post a Comment