Sunday, September 9, 2018

Week wrap up 09SEP2018

70 on the week.  No real workouts to speak of but the two runs in DC I did left me pretty depleted given the heat and the humidity.  I broke a toe Friday, but it really didn’t impact my running.
IMG_E4642

Saturday was a XC day up in Lyons. 

IMG_4649

JZ, while improved over last season, is still coming into fitness given he missed chunks over the summer due to various “niggles.” 

IMG_4645
The boys team is a long shot to make the State meet.   It could happen but it will require the team to be significantly better than they are now – and from 1-5.  And probably a bit of luck in how other teams perform. 

So there is a dichotomy there  … I care about the team’s results and in parental regard, my son’s results.  But the result is not particularly important as much as the process.  There are countless lessons greater than any one race or workout or even a season … commitment, discipline, team, humor, seriousness, the dichotomy of risking it for the moment against patience for the bigger view, the other 22 hours …

I am really enjoying that process of being involved with my son and the team.  JZ is not an all-state athlete, and while varsity on the Broomfield squad this year, he’d be a C squad on some teams in the state.  It is not quite that “none of that matters” because the process here is about training for a result.   I love what this process provides for young people and what it has for my kids.  And I’m hugely fortunate to have that front seat to all that. 

Don’t get me wrong.  This is not a complete “ah it is all about the journey and screw the destination.”  That is the dichotomy.  It is because there is a desired destination that the journey is so rich.  If it were an easy place to get to, the trip along the way doesn’t matter.  It is the stakes themselves that set up the opportunity. 
 
Eric S sent me a very nice piece of art as a “thank you” for being involved in his seventh finish at Leadville.  This is pretty cool.
IMG_E4643
It is a very nice and very thoughtful piece.  I think it will go in the home office.

I gave a bit more of an eyeball to the calendar and realized I’ll be traveling in some regard for a straight nine weeks.  I hate that seems to always come during XC season but that seems to be the pattern I have created (to some degree).  This week I’m off to the north of Boston area.

A few parting shots.

IMG_E4651
IMG_E4637

If you have never heard the Tool cover of Led Zeppelin’s “No Quarter” … well, it is clearly one of those covers far better than the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment