Monday, April 22, 2019

Monday 22APR2019 and considering Pikesmas

8.4 miles with Greg at practice.  Easy but as we were animated in conversation the pace rolled along pretty well.

At the HOF event last week I bumped into Corey Dobson.  He and his wife Kim (CR holder on the Ascent at Pikes, and multiple time winner) were also there to see Scott inducted into the Hall.  Each time I meet the Dobsons, I am impressed at just how nice and thoughtful of people they are.  They are just wonderfully positive people.

In conversing with Corey, we of course chatted about Pikes, preparation for it, where we were in that preparation, etc.  Corey mentioned a few things that I recognized were things I knew, but that I had not really thought about in a while: 

- “Pikesmas”  - or how the race weekend is a celebration of another year where we are blessed to break ourselves against that hill.  I had forgotten about this build up of excitement including the thinking about everything that we think about going into the race, like who got a comp entry, last year’s winner, the weather, if Matt Carpenter is going to show up race day and freak us all out. 

I’ll start beating the “Pikemas” drum here a bit with a goal of it crescendo-ing over the summer.

- “just getting to the line itself is something we should be thankful for.”  We discussed tiered goals and Corey’s reminder was spot on.  Getting to the line and being in a position where you can actually seriously consider getting up and down that hill is its own victory itself.  Then getting to the finish line in one piece is another.  After that we can start to discuss goals of times, age group and overall placings.

- “the veteran of the mountain doesn’t need to spend as much time on the hill.”  Certainly to have success at Pikes, getting on the hill helps with vertical training, familiarity with altitude, and all the little rocks on the course.  But at some point, you can know the course well enough and you can get a better bang for your training buck doing it at home (versus driving 5 hours round trip to get 12 miles on the hill in).

Soooo … 124 days until August 25.  Or just about 18 weeks.  Might be time to be getting a little more focus.

6 comments:

  1. “the veteran of the mountain doesn’t need to spend as much time on the hill.” True, but a few laps on Green will help. Let me know, hoping to log a few with you on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% true. As you know (and the blog shows) I have not done much for vertical at all this year and I am looking forward to having you hurt me a bit starting in June (need to get through track and graduation of this kiddo). Thanks in advance.

      Delete
  2. Let's do the Elk Park/Summit run this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be game for that.

      Side note - I was talking to someone about Pikes recently and they were saying how when they did it they were annoyed with the guy "handing out beer" on the course. I had to laugh.

      Delete
  3. George,
    Great seeing you last Tuesday! It was a pleasure watching Scott earn a much deserved honor. He meant so much to Kim and I as we learned about Mtn running and was so selfless giving of his knowledge to us. Such an awesome night just seeing how much running has meant to so many people and the bond it automatically forms between everyone. I've only met you a couple of times but it's awesome how Pikes and running automatically creates an instant bond! Can't wait to see you as part of the Pikesmas festivities this summer! I know I am a young buck compared to many but as I have aged certainly have gained such perspective on racing and competing. As a physician I see so many people who struggle to walk yet alone run much less run up a mountain. May we never forget the joys and honor it is to partake in such events. PRs, CRs, placement is sooo secondary in comparison to just the privilege we have to just partake in running and its amazing community! See ya in August where pikes will no doubt once again humble us all!
    Corey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you and Kim, Corey. And love your perspective.

    ReplyDelete