Thought about getting another in the afternoon, but the thunderstorms gave me pause and I passed, rationalizing I probably needed the rest because of the longer burro race effort this weekend, and the two harder efforts yesterday.
It is pretty much easy to rationalize whatever you want for training almost anytime. I have wondered in this case if my eschewing a run like this is me being smart now that I am coming up on 50, or if it is me being soft because I am now coming up on 50.
In evening Fairplay Burro Days officially announced some changes to this year's race. First, because of the snow leading up to Mosquito Pass, the course won't go there, or even over American Flats. Instead, it will be an out and back, rather than the lollipop it typically is. This looks to be around 25 miles versus the regular 29. Also based on the map, it looks like it will make the turn around near the base of the London Mine.

Second, the start will be split. Fairplay has been contemplating this for a few years with the growth of the race and the number of teams at the start. Long course runners will start about 10 minutes before short course runners (I say about because I can't recall any burro race that has gone off to schedule exactly). This should put those 15 or so teams (that is about the typical number of the long course entries) out there and then the remaining 65 or so (again based on last year) in the short course start.
Supposedly this makes for a more safe start overall with less racers (I have questioned if safety is really the priority in a race where people run with a donkey in a mountain setting to the top of a mountain pass at oh-lightning 30 but that is a different rant).
No comments:
Post a Comment