Monday AM - super easy five miles as a part of practice.
Tuesday AM - 8.6, some warming up with Syd kid for her workout, some with Greg as we warmed the kids up for their workout at Stonehenge. Strides. Felt better at the end than the start.
Wednesday AM - 20 minute warm up (Syd joined me), strides. 15 minutes at 6:24 pace (was targeting 6:30) then 3 min. recovery, then 8 x 400 at 6:00 pace (so 90s) on 90" rest. Started too fast and came on at 86, back it off to 87 for the next three, then a couple of 86s, an 85 and an 84. Humid but not too hot - all at the middle school track. Long cool down getting over to the team. 12.1 miles.
Thursday AM - 9.1 miles with the team. Explored the new bridge over the railroad at the end of Hoyt Street. Love it.
Friday AM - warming up for a light tempo and out of nowhere - boom right hammie yelled pretty loud and I was done. 5.1 miles. Damn it.
Throughout the day, I tried to baby it, but it was clear that it was pretty heavily strained. It will require a few days off (at least). Not ideal at this time for a variety of reasons. I am certainly not happy about it but I can see it with a bit of a different perspective than I could a couple of decades ago, and even different than a handful of years ago.
I am hopeful that this mends over the next couple of days, and that a few days of rest actually gets me back on track on feeling on top of my training when I get back to it - and just in time for a solid Pikes performance. I have taken bigger periods of time off and done fine, so I can get over the falsehood that if I am not running everyday I am falling apart.
Saturday AM - OFF. First day off I think since February 29. I guess I needed it. While I hoped for a better feeling wheel this AM, I knew it was not gonna magically clear up over night. There were some intentions to run the Fat Ass Ass Race in Fairplay (which is 34 plus miles this year) but I notified folks that is not an option for me (not even the short course).
Biked with the kids at practice.
Sunday - OFF. Headed to Fairplay and worked as a volunteer for the "race." Completely different vibe as the official race was cancelled. Different course, no spectators, and only FOUR runners did the long course. I definitely had a woulda, coulda, should set of thoughts as Bob and Marvin stepped away early and went 31 miles plus with Marvin eeking a win by a tenth.
PS - it drives me crazy when someone loses like that and then someone comes up to them and says "YOU LOST BY A TENTH OF A SECOND." This is usually followed by "WHAT HAPPENED?" Having been on the receiving end of that ... well, I guess it is a test of patience.
Hammy is a bit better but it was certainly not gonna handle 15 miles or 50k.
Screwed week but we will press on.
No comments:
Post a Comment