Sunday, August 7, 2022

Week ending 07AUG2022

Monday - headed to Tahosa for what I think is my 7th XC camp with the Eagles.  Fifth year at Tahosa.  Probably missed a COVID year in there but I'd have to check.  













It felt like a great camp for me.  Good kids, good environment, some great goal setting and conversations.  All the things you want when involved in something like this.

I decided I was going to do some running.  I wasn't expecting much.  The biggest concern with it all was that I'd take a tumble and bruise something.  Being on a blood thinner then makes that a greater risk.  I promised to be more careful, but it is true that I am rather klutzy.

Monday night we headed up the St. Vrain trail.  5.5 miles.  It was clear that as soon I had to breathe significantly at all, I was gonna hurt.  The deeper lung pain was still there even though it has generally gotten better over the last week.  

Tuesday - 5.1 miles up towards the Beaver Res, and then jumped on the Sourdough for a bit.  Same sorta thing.  So just easy running.  Or barely jogging.

In the evening I tacked on another 3.2 miles up the Coney Flats out of Beaver Res.  Things seemed to loosen up a tad in the lungs on this one.

The couple days up there reaffirmed for me a couple of things: I am gonna run.  I am committed to getting past this crap so I can continue to do this stuff.  I do want to get back to being fit enough to do Pikes in 2023 and the Fairplay Burro Race as well.  I have had a variety of shit pitched to me in the last couple of years (this, the Achilles) that has screwed that up but I will get back to it.  

Great pic of Jack from last weekend.



















And, it also affirmed that I was completely not going to be able to do the burro race this year.  No, that would have been a med evac situation possibility had I done it.  













Wednesday AM - I saw my local doc and it was surprisingly a good visit.  I'll be on the thinners for 3 months, but I am getting some tests to see if they a root cause to my clot issue can be determined.  For the moment, they are sorta stumped.  But it was clearly stated that my general health / vitals were a huge benefit for me getting through this pretty unscathed.  Apparently there may have been some permanent damage to one of my lungs, so I could expect to deal with that longer term.  

In the afternoon I got out for five on the ditch with JZ.  It was hot, and I think I was feeling the effects of all that blood being drawn, so this one was especially wonky.  5 miles.

Thursday AM - 6 miles easy with GW and JH around practice.  Pretty sure the thinners are screwing up my sweat.  I look like I am taking a bath at the end of every run.  And the sweat seems saltier than usual.  

Been running with the Garmin 35 watch I got.  I got it because I didn't expect to carry the phone for the entirety of the Fairplay or Pikes events.  So much for that.  It tells me a lot.  Maybe too much.  Like number of steps I have taken, my HR when I burp, etc.  

Friday AM - practice.  6.5 with strides.  No way would I call this a good run but it is the best one I have had all week.  The pain continues to drop a bit and I can breathe a little easier.  

Saturday AM - 8 miles around practice.  Continued progress.  Still can't and won't run hard yet but getting better.  Saw some owls.  














Sunday AM - 9.4 miles.  It was a bit of a cooler morning.  I felt fine for the first half dozen but then was sweating like I was in the midwest.  Really just slow but good to get in a few.  Still dealing with some deep breath challenges  but way better than a week ago of course.

About 45 on the week, but I can see that I am way behind where I was a few weeks ago.  Engine is just sputtering through some stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment