Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Nothing really new

Nothing really new here.  

I haven't run in about a month now.  The post tibial tendon swelling has subsided but there is still a fair amount of soreness in there.  I bike some, lift some but have not run.  I can flare it up a bit if I am on my feet too long or if I walk a bit too much.  

At first, of course, it was crazy frustrating.  Being accustomed to running 50 miles a week ... well, when that goes away it, and there are racing goals on the horizon, it sucks.  But, again of course, I have grown used to it, and that has settled down.  Not running is not that hard actually.  

I have to come to terms with the fact that a run at Fairplay or Pikes this year seems out of the cards.  Even if I get this thing back together by June, it would seem unreasonable to expect that I can run those sorts of distances, climbs, at elevation.  

That bums me out.  Of course.  But ... breathe in, and realize what it is for what it is.  

I can't say I love the biking.  It's all right but it ain't this magical substitution for me.  It might be that I don't have a great bike (its at least 30 years old).  I appreciate that I can use it to get a good thump in my neck going, and that I can explore a bit, but I can't report here that I love biking. 

I have been trying to get into the weight room.  I have been using the Eagle gym to do that (HS) but that is coming to an end.  I am pretty sure I am unraveling from coaching at Broomfield.  We are considering moving to the mountains and I have to separate a bit from some of that stuff.  That is also a bit sad - it has been an amazing seven years doing that.  We got a boys squad to the State 4x8 this year and that was something else (it has been a coin flip all year if they would make it and so getting in at 16th - they take top 18) was a big deal.  Again, it is a closing chapter, which is sort of a bummer, but at the same time, it was a good run, and it will be good pivot and get some of that time back.  I may pop into help occasionally.  

So, yeah, a fair amount of shifts there:  not running for a while and not sure when I will get back to it, working on a move to the mountains, not coaching the HS anymore.  I can say some of it comes with age, or some of it is just the natural way of things, but at the same time I can say those were somethings I thought I might do forever.   That was folly for thought of course.  Nothing like that sticks.  

But for now, in Japan for a little bit (saw that coming, didn't ya?) visiting KZ.


 



















So this post is happily coming from you from 15 hours in the future of Mountain Time.   Which means I am upside timewise and up in the middle of the night.  

Keep livin' it.  

1 comment: