Sunday, May 28, 2023

Sunday 28MAY2023 ... music #gom blabber

Biked 21.5 miles, heading a bit further east than I have on the 36 bikeway.  It breaks down into neighborhoods once you get past Sheridan but it is still a nice ride.  I got hit with a thunderstorm on the last 20 minutes.  That was sorta nice ... I mean, there was no hail, so no biggie.  Got a little body weight exercise stuff in too.

I imagine I look like quite the chump boomer on the bike.  It is mountain bike that is older than both of my offspring.  The front brake is sort of wonky.  I wasn't wearing a shirt.  I got this old guy pony tail now.  And no helmet.  Just cruising at 12 - 15 mph.  

But better than doing nothing.  I had to get out today.  I was up at midnight and struggled to get back to sleep - the expected outcome of being 15 time zones ahead for the last two weeks.  The spin sort of set me straight a little bit.  Stomach was a bit wonky too, the outcome of 28 hours of airplane food.  

Ended up digging on some Tears for Fears today.  I had not heard them in forever, but as a youngster I really dug them and found their music interesting.  It was just different than what others were doing at the time.

While in Japan, I ended up in a bit of a debate with the adult youngsters - sounding like an old man - about top of chart music these days versus what it used to be.  They kept queueing up these four chord (if that) songs with little variation:  nothing different in the chorus except maybe a variation in the speed of the melody.  Nothing really to mix it up - like a key change or a break ... I do dig, and even cover, some of these songs - and hell, what I write ain't any better (but my stuff ain't sellin' any records) - but most music these days is just sort of plain.  Okay, there are some very interesting cats but they don't seem to get much play (e.g., Ren, Polyphia).   Not that there is a radio they get played on.  

Yeah, I know, #GOM stuff.  

I would ask young people I coached what sort of music they were into and most would shrug and say "I dunno."  Yeah, there was the occasional kid who would be really into country or might even shock me by saying Led Zep, but most said they just listened to whatever was queued up on Spotify or Apple Music.  That is a change for sure:  you used to know a little something about someone based on the music they liked.  You're wearing a Dead shirt, ok got it.  You - wearing the Nirvana sweater, I got that too.  I asked a kid recently who happened to be wearing a Nirvana shirt if they knew any songs by them and they said no, they just liked the shirt.  I decided not to do the Foo Fighter follow up.

And you used to have to invest a bit to like that music.  You had to buy the album or the 45 or the cassette and then the CD.  That has obviously changed - as we all have it all now on these little devices.  That is great, but it has shifted how we treat that art too.

I ain't complaining really.  It is just a change.  I just dug Tear for Fears today.  

Ok, back to clearing the time zone brain fog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment