Tuesday, December 24, 2024

Monday 23DEC2024

My recent experiment with dropping alcohol for a bit got me thinking about running several other similar sort of trials.  Rather than think, "hey, I am going to do this thing forever" it was "what if I tried this for a week?  Or maybe a month?"

Like what if I did some set number of body squats every day for a week?  Or wall sits for some time every day for a month?  And then the thought extended to other possible experiments outside of just physical exercise.  What if I spent 15 minutes every morning for a quarter working on writing songs?  Or what if I gave up social media for a month? 

Would I see a change?  I can't say that I have seen some sort of profound physical change in dropping beer:  I still have oddball sleep, I haven't dropped 10 pounds, and I sometimes still feel lethargic.  Mentally, however, I do take some satisfaction in that I have been able to manage a small amount of discipline in making this choice.  That certainly means something.  So I wonder if I will enjoy that with other experiments.  And maybe I will also be able to see some other benefits.  

I quickly penned out thirty possible ones the other day - everything from physical disciplines to mental ones to "art" projects to, well, frankly things I have thought I could do but for whatever reason I have put off.  I'll start this week with 100 push ups a day (not in one shot, likely sets of 20-50).  It is an easy start.  I should be able to push away from the desk at some point, not look at the phone, drop and do them.  No harder than saying no to a gin and tonic, right?  















The bigger objective here is to make little changes over time to make larger improvements.  Some of these experiments will work.  Some will fail.  I might falter.  I might hate it.  I should learn a thing or two in any case.  

7 miles in the afternoon, slow (9:15) with a lot of breaks.  100 push ups (20, 20, 25, 35) over the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment