Thursday, January 24, 2008

Post Wednesday observations

There were a couple of other thoughts I had on my easy run yesterday that I wanted to get down ... in my charting this experiment of one.

First, on this easy run, with significant climbing, my stride rate went way down (like 75). I am less concerned about my stride rate on my easy easy runs but I can see how this sort of work makes that a habit - it contributes to a lower stride rate all the time if I do this alot. I will want to make sure that when I go after this run hard that I keep the rate quick. It is funny how dense I have been on this topic. Hill climbing specialist SE tried to tell me this while doing Lindens last year. Master miler PH has often told me that I need "to get them down." Mentally I thought about this a little. It was not until Lucho said, "dude, your stride sucks!" that I actually took the concept to heart.

Second, I am not sure what strained my abdominal - but I am pretty nervous about it: is it a hernia?! It seems a little better today but I need to keep an eye (?!) on that.

Finally, it was good to get off the mill yesterday. The mill is a good tool but it is a drill on my head. When I am on it, I am consistently playing the game of upping the speed, and then downing it. This is good on some accounts (7:20s feel hard? crank the pace to 6:00 for a bit, then bring it back to 7:08 and that feels good), but when you run nowhere (literally), it is a bit like water boarding. Kerrie told me I need to get outside after my workout on Tuesday ... she was right.

If it is warm enough today, I am going to try to get over to a track.

No comments:

Post a Comment