Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tuesday 010108, 13 miles w/ mile repeats

My plan called for eight hundreds this week. The eight hundred workout is 6 x 800 meters with one minute rest. I have found that I my average for the repeat there is typically about 4-5 seconds faster per 800 than what I will do per mile in a 5K. So in other words, if I average 2:30 per 800, I will go about 5:10 per mile (or 2:35 per half) in a 5K. It has been a long time since I have gotten faster than 2:30 in that workout, and when I do - I begin to pull the rest in shorter.

All that is wonderful, but I did not do that workout today. I want to do that workout on a track, and as I did not get home from the hills until late, it was a treadmill day. Given that, I decided to go with miles instead.

I was not on top of it, and I knew it from the start - but decided to make a go of it anyway. After a 2 mile warmup (>15), I did 3 miles with 3 minutes rest (at 5mph, so a quarter jog) at about 5:30 to 5:35. None were outright killer, but I did not feel strong. It may be the cold that I am fighting (fwiw, I was sweating like it was a GA summer in the basement). This brought me to 5.5 in 43:40, and so I finished it off with 7.5 in 55 for 13 in 98:40. Not stellar, but I was glad to push through it given my state.

I did some quick checks and it looks like I did 3400 plus miles last year. Assuming there is some error in there, I will call it an even 3000 miles. I probably could get stats for the number of times I went up Green and Bear, but it really doesn't matter - they are still there.

I will go easy tomorrow and then look to do a tempo of 6 to 8 miles on Thursday or Friday. Ideally, this would be on SBC trail, but given the snowed in conditions, I might mill that as well. In any case, I will look to start at around 6 minute pace and pick it up through the run.

Workout from 1 year ago today: Went up Green in the snow with Lucy. Real easy … We went up Amphitheatre to Saddle to Greenman and summitted Green in about 65 minutes (this was with a couple of stops to talk to passers by and to deal with leash dynamics). We came down Ranger to Gregory in about 45 minutes – Lucy was loving it. I was soaked from the knees down as we played in the powder. Given the stops I am going to call this 7 miles and 100 minutes (rather than 110).

No comments:

Post a Comment