Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday 091109

  • AM - met Tim G over at the Coal Creek Trail. Out 4, back 4. Started at 9 minute pace, then clicked into 8:30s on the way out. Came back on the down grade back at about 7:30 pace. Hr averaged at 152. Felt a bit more than easy at times but I was okay with that. Certainly never difficult. Of course, TG's HR was 115. Discussed what it means to be a man or a woman.
  • Mustache month? I love it. Not for me this month, but I love it.
  • Boulder OSMP trails in a KMZ file for Google Earth
  • Awesome quote of the day post from Brownie
  • Mid day - 6 miles with TC and BD at work. Easy

18 comments:

  1. " Discussed what it means to be a man or a woman."

    Yea, did you see that South African 'lady' 800 runner has testes, no ovaries, etc. and is officially a hermaphrodite?

    Its a shame for her, because she didn't ask to be born that way. But when you have sports where gender matters and women and men are split, and you choose to compete with the females, then you are taking that risk......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah ... this is what we were discussing.

    I bet that "gender" is probably one of those things that - like a lot of other body chemistry issues - falls on some continuum. Hemocratic levels are an example (and one where biking has put in an arbitrary definition of what is legal). Gender, while probably likely to have variances - there are certainly variances.

    All of this sort of stuff, and the PEDs, is part of why I cancelled my subscription to T&FN a few years ago. The whole event has become a circus tent in many regards. Come watch the hermaphrodite run a sub 2 800 meters.

    I find it much more interesting to instead read about what you are doing. Or Lucho. Or Tim Parr. You get the picture.

    It is sad for the athlete (I feel like I am talking about T.O. when I say the athlete).

    ReplyDelete
  3. GZ - you following Wasatch at all? Geoff Roes killing it. On CR pace through 40 (K. Skaggs holds current record (19:35) so nothing soft about it). 30 mins up on Meltzer, and more on Koerner running in third. Can he hold it? I say yes.

    More here: http://wasatch100.com/results2009/RunnerPositionList.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah ... watching. But it is early!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New update on site. Koerner not yet to Bog Mountain. Four already through. John Anderson is my pick for surprise of the day, but Roes looks to be the man right now.

    Out for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New discussion: what it means to be a man AND a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn, hope Hal can make some time up as the day goes on.

    Why the hell is on this on a Friday? I understand for a 48 hour race like Hardrock, but this must be one of those dumb Utah things?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasatch site predicts 14 minutes between Karl and Jeff at the 53m aid station. Knowing Karl, he's just probably letting the gap stay manageable and waiting out his time to let the race come to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friday start is most likely Utah influenced, but does have some merit. Most people that travel to 100 milers have to take a minimum of 2 days vacation. Some think it's easier to take Thu/Fri (travel Thu, race Fri/Sat, home on Sun), rather than Fri/Mon off. A little less disruptive to the work schedule.

    No doubt Karl has always been strong, but he has found a whole new level this year. He's just getting warmed up. Keep checking that rear-view mirror, Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like we got a race. Eight minutes in it at the half, with Anderson and Brimhall still in contention 30 mins back (at aid before half).

    Roes and Meltzer both on CR pace, but Meltzer closing gap by 8 mins over last section. Take your pick, anyone's race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was actually only 8 minutes now (Jeff to Karl gap) at 53 miles, so it appears Karl is just biding his time. I'll definitely have to check in later tonight to see whats up.

    The word verification for this post is 'vagish'. Hmmm, I could go many ways with that one...I think when I dropped at 60 miles to drive home and sleep at the Hinson Lake 24 hour ultra last year that was a vag-ish move on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karl will win in a new course record--I'm calling 19:28. Geoff pushed too hard too early...several minutes under some of Kyle's early CR splits (and Kyle started out hard that day!) but now coming back to Karl and hovering right around Kyle's CR pace.

    Kyle's record is relatively soft (just ask him). Kyle blew up for a while going over Catherine's Pass after Brighton (mile 75) in '07 and didn't really get rolling again until the last 5-10 miles or so...pretty much exactly like my first 100 (Wasatch '07 was Kyle's first 100).

    Karl has the fastest split ever for Brighton to the finish, so I'm expecting he'll get into Brighton within a few minutes of Kyle's CR pace and then just sneak under it by the finish.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tony - thanks for the 19:35 insight. My money is still on Geoff. Word is he's been having some stomach issues last few miles. If he can get through those issues, I say he hangs tough for the win and CR. If not, he'll probably be a DNF, and Karl wins easily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick,

    It looks like Geoff is back on it. Gap on Karl has regrown to 14min. Lots can still happen, of course.

    T

    P.S. Also, excellent job by the Wasatch staff for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Geoff is 25 minutes ahead of CR pace at Brighton (75 miles) and Karl 7 ahead, which by my math means an 18 minute gap with 25 to go. Still either of these guys' races to win/lose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Johnny A having a great race too. Good battle developing for 3 through 7. Deep field.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nick - good stuff ... thanks. Man - if ultras were not made for the blog space!

    25 miles, 18 minutes. It could be a barn burner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roes on pace to go under 19 hours with 17 miles to go. His to lose now.

    ReplyDelete