Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday 091010

The Four Mile Canyon fire in Boulder may delay the Boulder Marathon event.

Met up with JV and Tony this AM for a jaunt over Green.  I got out a little early because I was already up.

As is well known, these two guys are phenoms at climbing.  That fact, combined with the extra helpings of dinner I have been enjoying lately  were very apparent to me as we hit the steeper sections of Gregory and I slowed, and Jeff and Tony basically walked away a bit.  I will admit a mild frustration, but maybe a bit more of a humbling - in watching these guys float away.

At the summit of Green, we took in the views of Boulder Canyon, Sunshine Canyon and the recent burns. Tony headed south to Bear while Jeff and I made our way back down to Chautauqua.  On the way down we ran into another ultra legend – Dave Mackey. 

While I was reminded physically as to how much work I need to do, I was buoyed mentally by sharing some strides and good conversation with these guys.

P9100299 P9100300 P9100292 P9100295 P9100296 P9100298 Even more evident to me is that I have become a total wimp on downhills.  Any skill I had as a downhill runner has been negated with a cautious approach – as I don’t want to roll my ankle or take a spill.  My klutz nature has become a bit of a joke, and there is an element to it that is a bit funny.   That said, it is seriously starting to slow me down on the downs.  Not a big deal right now, but it is definitely something I will need to work on in the future.

11 miles total with 3000+ of vertical.  Love to say it was easy, and while the pace was slow, I was a bit worked today.

10 comments:

  1. Get the tracker going...

    1 - Nick Clark
    2 - Nick Pedatella
    3 - Luke Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicks have swapped now:

    Pedatella
    Clark
    Nelson
    Shilling

    Still anyone's race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey GZ,
    Thanks for the run this morning; nice having some company now and then. As for downhilling...I don't know how ANYone runs trails in Cascadias :-) I'm always game if you're looking to inject a few more early (ish) morning Green ascents into the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Brandon know you've been messing around with his man?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick P and I ran a couple days before his race and I could tell he felt ready. Hope he holds it for the win.

    JT, that's funny as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony - I actually took that last big spill I was telling you about in a racing flat, not the Cascadias. Yeah - I will look to hook up some more for AM runs.

    Especially when Brandon is out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I imagine this is what it must feel like for a crack addict... I've had one little taste of the Colorado mountains and I'm itching to get back and run some more.. I guess for now I'll have to satisfy my craving by looking at the pictures you post... thanks for the fix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Nick is the name to have in the wasatch right now. Nick C looks like he's setting himself up for his 100 mile W to round out the year, what a stud! Hopefully he finishes strong like at western.
    1-Nick Clark
    2-Anthony Culpepper
    3-Nick Pedatella

    ReplyDelete
  9. JT, must be someone else. That guy has a hat on.

    ReplyDelete