Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday 090910

AM – six miles.  No smoke here in Broomfield from the Boulder fires (169 homes destroyed, making it the most destructive measured fire in Colorado history), but you can see a haze settled in over the valley near Sanitas.

Interesting read:  And when Michael (Phelps) was 15, he set a new American record at an out-of-town meet. As Michael traveled back to Baltimore, Mother Debbie did the instinctive thing – she festooned the house with balloons, streamers, and yard signs commemorating his remarkable feat.  But then something unusual happened. A few hours before Michael arrived, Michael’s coach, Bob Bowman, came to the house and removed all the streamers. He popped the balloons. He pulled down the signs. And he threw it all into the trash.  When Debbie Phelps saw what Bowman had done, she was understandably upset – why was he doing this? Didn’t he understand that this was a big moment, a time to celebrate?  Bowman let her protest. Then he told her, “This is a journey of a thousand steps. If we celebrate now, like this, that leaves us nowhere to go.”

This guy cracks me up.  Burro racing, rock skipping and now hot pepper eating contest.  “HOLY CRAP THAT IS HOT!” 

PM – warm again.  8 miles very easy.

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny! The guy couldn't sit still. Man my mouth is salivating right now. I mexican I wouldn't do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know one guy who could have been a contender in this contest: Fredrico Giovelli - my passed away Sicilian grandfather. He'd fry up peppers that would make you cry just smelling the stuff, then he'd eat them - smiling with all four of his teeth and saying - 'yeah, it is a little hot.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the excerpt about Michael Phelps. Very interesting. I went ahead and ordered the book. My son is a talented violinist and I am afraid I will somehow screw him up.

    ReplyDelete