Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thursday 100710

In Vegas for work.  This town is not my kind of place.  That is about all I need to say about that. That (not) said,  I am here with a great team of co-workers – all people who are incredibly thoughtful, intelligent, and caring. 

AM – hit the hotel gym and the treadmill.  10 miles.  Started SUPER easy (like 10 minute pace), and slowly unraveled myself to a couple of sub sevens (Tool music made it happen!).  All at 0.5% incline.  Oh, and of course, I had to reset the treadmill every half an hour because that was the max time allotted. 

Weird, sad in the ultra community.

Ritz will line up in the Denver half that I am doing in a  few weeks.

Nice article by Rock on Jonesy.

PM  - 5 miles.  Easy.

14 comments:

  1. If you can get out to Boulder City near Lake Mead, Bootleg Canyon is epic trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading of Engle's past and recovery and running. Kind of blends in with a lot of those types that decide to run through the night for some "cause."

    Not the most character guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I've never been to Vegas, I'd definitely checking at the casinos (just looking), then head straight to the mountains. And later, eat at good restaurants. And there's got to be at least one good brew pub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my kinda place, either, and people always think I'm a killjoy for saying so! Hope you don't get sick from all the smoke.

    However, if you can't get out of town, I've enjoyed some early morning runs on the strip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would argue that Vegas has more and better trails than all of the Boulder area. The MTB scene is awesome which means the trail systems are awesome. The green belt through the city is pretty sweet too, like a rolling Boulder Creek Path but with water fountains and strippers. Ok... I made up the stripper part. But in Vegas? Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a car here, and I have not gotten out and about (nor will I). How far is the green belt from the strip?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out josh brimhall's new running store there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's kind of all over the city and I think you can pick it up on the North end of the strip. I used to hand make graphite NASCAR and F-1 engine and body parts and our facility was located on the Las Vegas motor speedway grounds. It was super close to the Nellis Air Force base, basically on the end of their runway! I used to sit out on my lunch hour and watch the Thunderbirds fighter jet squad practice. We were close enough to smell their fuel when they took off. Then, at the end of their runway is a killer motocross course that is some of the craziest running I've ever done. Super hilly and loopy... combine that with an F-16 coming down seemingly on top of you and it was very memorable. If you had a car I would tell you head out and do a run along the North Las Vegas Highway and watch the jets. But you've probably seen a million of them already?

    ReplyDelete
  9. TW - thanks, I will check it out (maybe tonight). That sounds cool.

    Yeah, I have seen a fair number of jets in my life, but I still get a bit fired up from seeing them and smellin' the JP4 fuel. (even though my broader conscious has other thoughts about them).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had it on my list to fly into Vegas and head up Mt. Whitney. Then enjoy the Vegas food afterwards.

    I enjoy the blog BTW and have been reading for a while. Happy trails...or should I say treadmills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Run the strip early in the morning - only time it's quiet on the streets there. You can run on a treadmill at home - might as well get some semi-fresh air...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't wish bad things on anybody, but I must admit some kind of warm feeling inside to see when people who game the system or cheat get caught. Its been a frustrating last few years for those of us to live beneath our means...watching banks and individuals get their endless hand outs and programs.

    Shane, Mt. Whitney is worth the drive over if you can make it. The portal is 8k+ feet and summit is 14.5k, 10.5 miles each way, so make sure you give yourself enough time. There is enough water along the way to refill a camelbak if you have water filters/etc.

    I don't think you need a permit if you're just doing a day trip, but you might double check...they are pretty full well in advance if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah - sad and weird on Engle, although little surprises me it seems anymore when it comes to scandals in sport.

    I am trying my best to not to be a killjoy ... this whole place is bizzare however ... I hit the strip for a run this AM ...(good suggestion happytrails - although it was still busy even at pre 6AM) across from the giant golden hotel of Mandalay Bay were homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk.

    Shane - good to meet you - let's hook up for a run!

    ReplyDelete