In any case, this looks to be at least 38 miles, probably closer to 40. Mapmyrun puts the elevation gain at only 3800, but almost all of that has to come in the last five miles. I was actually kicking around doing this on New Year's Day, but with the weather - I may hold off on it.
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Bear Peak Madness
I decided to plot out what a run from my house to Bear Peak and back would be. I got a bit lazy in getting all curves perfect, just the general route I am currently thinking. I might change up the start a bit (instead going down the south side of Lac Amora rather than through the middle of it - as this would give a cleaner access to Midway versus crossing the railway) and the section near the Greenbelt Plateau (it seems to be going a bit of the opposite direction I want to go at times). I am sort of back and forth as there are two goals here - get to the peak and back in the least amount of miles while staying as much as possible on established trails. I also had to cheat a bit on the end of the map - as I could not "see" the trail in mapmyrun - so I just ran the bugger up the drainage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When I've done this (I live right near mile 6 (32) on your route), I've always crossed 93 at the Greenbelt Plateau TH, hooking onto the Flatirons Vista and Doudy Draw trails. Mileage probably isn't much different than your current route, though.
ReplyDeleteAnother option is to do the northern portion of the Dirty Bismarck rather than the southern portion as your current route does. Might straighten the route out just a bit. When you hit Rock Creek Pkwy, follow it up to McCaslin, down into Old Town Superior, then the Singletree-Mayhoffer over to 66th, Cowdrey Draw and Community Ditch to hook into the rest of your route. Or, if you don't want to run along Rock Creek Pkwy, you can continue into Community Park and follow bike paths through Rock Creek up to the McCaslin/Rock Creek intersection.
If you end up doing this later in March and want company, let me know. I'll run WTC on the 12th, but I'd do it after that.
ReplyDeleteJohn - yeah, I thought about that other end of the Dirty Bismark - particularly now since that new trail is in (the Mayerhoff connector). But I am on the fence as to whether to do Rock Creek. Could be switched up back and forth.
ReplyDeletePatrick - sounds good. Might be a nice tune up for CP 50.