Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday 032513

Over in Orlando now.

Was running around in the area and came across another guy running.  Turns out he was a 13:38 5k guy in the day and is prepping for Boston.

So, yeah, the 10.4 miles at sub seven pace came pretty easy in light of that.

I don't think most folks realize how fast that is.  Given most 20-50 year old Americans would be hard pressed to run that time for a mile, and even less for 2 miles - I don't think they have even an fathoming of what that means for 3.1.  I can sniff what that means, but even I don't get it as running around in circles at 66 second pace for 4 laps was something I never did ... not to even mention 12.5.

Pretty cool to run with that and enjoy some conversation though.  Just another runner dude.

5 comments:

  1. Even worse, most people will think he's a real runner now that he's running a marathon. And elite cuz it's Boston!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Canadian types are so nice! I just met his family and they are just sweet as pie!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say he's fast, for sure. I have an ongoing debate with my brother about whether great runners are also great athletes. He looks at runners and doesn't see big muscles and lots of versatility. Being a runner myself, I look at a world-class marathoner who may weigh a buck-ten and I see someone who is incredibly strong and fast over a long distance and who has a VO2 max and threshold that are way beyond what the average person has or ever will have. No matter how hard I train, I'll never have that kind of speed, and so I appreciate it when I see it or read about it. So I agree with you when you say most people have no clue how fast 13:38 for 5K is.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wyatt - I might be able to pull a 66 lap. One. Maybe.

      Delete