Heading down to the Springs Thursday night to catch “Haulin Ass” at the Stargazer.
Better pix (than what I took in FL last week) of river otter over here … apparently they are back in the area.
Looked at the Pikes marathon entry list by qualification time tonight, with a particular eye tilted towards the masters men. Gellin, Dunlap … those names ring a bell. While they are putting up qualification marathons, they are also mountain familiar and legit performing guys. No clue on Brochard. Zuniga now appears via the Ascent from last year. Most cool however is to see 1980 winner Chris Reveley who posted a 3:45 then sign up. I love that former winners can always come back to this race FOR life.
I think I signed up today to do a leg of the Colfax Marathon relay with a team at my work.
Cuts on face are cleaned up but my left knee is singing pretty good where I knocked it.Strava thinks I have climbed just over a 100k this year. My measurements however have me just over 90k.
This sort of stuff seems to either piss people off or crack them up. I almost see the idiocy as comical. There is some fun when they say stuff like this: You are being intellectually dishonest with yourself if you don't believe MC is an absolute stud. I would walk around with my balls hanging out all day every day if I had his resume. blah blah blah. Quite a few funny ones over there, as they are so stupid. There are some good intelligent nuggets in there (Sage C for example posts). Whatever … all talk. Show up at the line and show what you can do.
10.5 miles, up the middle route. Slushy, slippery mess for most of the route (all but the lowest stretches). Often 2 steps back, 1 step back. Mellow effort today. Despite the snow and slush, it was that odd circumstance that is common in CO – I was shirtless and comfortable as it was a warm day. Slipped down the back, and then Flagstaff Road to assure some level of upright play for the down hill. 25th Green. Saw Jeff coming down as I was heading up and yapped with him for a minute. This was his 52nd Green.
59th, but who is counting.... ;)
ReplyDeleteGood to see you out there, wish we could have ran together, but I got home with only minutes to spare as it was. I could really use a few good Flagstaff descents.
How was the trail over to the top of Superflag? Might do a few laps there tomorrow instead of slip sliding over to Bear and co..
Clearest stuff up that high that I saw all day. Pretty good except for those two "hollows" but those are so short so no biggie.
ReplyDeleteRegarding Letsrun, my attitude towards it seems to be about the same as yours, GZ. I've been reading those boards literally since the website has been in existence (2000, I was in high school!), and while it's generally a shocking cesspool it's still probably my most reliable source for a quick few minutes of entertainment/laughs on the internet. You just can't take it so seriously; getting worked up about anything on there basically misses the point because most the time I think people are just trying to be outrageous/inflammatory. Sometimes there really are some comedic gems on there, though.
ReplyDeleteTony - I glad you are laughing. While I think we all got a chuckle out of the nickname you were given there, I could see that if I were on the receiving end of that I'd be a bit pissed.
DeleteGellin is really good and steady. He runs with the HR watch and will measure his output carefully. He will be slower on the climb and run the down much faster. To beat him is to out climb him by a good margin. There you have it!
ReplyDeleteInteresting! That has been my tactic the last couple of years (controlled up and run down faster than what the up split would predict).
DeleteGary is the only runner who ran all of Goat Hill in WTC 50k last year to break the CR. The boy can run uphill and is methodical with data.
ReplyDeleteYup, real deal.
DeleteNever said he didn't run the hills- only that he goes by HR and effort, not by pacing and splits. This insures he has lots of juice for the downs. Read Clark's Sonoma race report from 2012.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteJust pointing out that Gary's strengths are his climbing (he weighs like 50 lbs or something) and his uncanny use of heart rate data. Might not be the best strategy to beat him to the top. GZ has a strong descent and knows the hill.
DeleteGary's coming out two weeks before the race to "acclimate". I've trained with him running and riding. Almost a slave to HR. We did a 50 mile ride and I'd start chatting to him on a long climb I was pushing and look back and he's a half mile back, then yells "staying in zone two today!"
Just told me today he's staying in a narrow HR range of 172 (hummingbird) for the first ~30 mi of Lake Sonoma next week.
I would think Gary is a strong candidate to win the masters - or even break the top ten.
Delete"I would walk around with my balls hanging out all day every day if I had his resume." LOL! Wait, because he is such a stud, or because he shaves and polishes them or something?
ReplyDeleteHappy to never visit LetsRun. Although occasionally you get some gems it appears, like part of the Kip Litton research.
I rarely wander past the front page (which is good for running info). Occasionally the blogosphere I hit lights me up to go check that comedy on the forums.
Delete