Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday 111714

I made a pretty big deal of chasing a hill FKT last spring in Cork.  It is only fair that I note that was taken from me tonight, and quite handily.  Not sure I can quite get that the next time I make it to Cork but I sure as hell will try.

imageimage 
Admittedly I love Strava for this “mine is bigger than yours” ego fest.    I wish it could be further tweaked though.  Now that I am number 2, I won’t get notice anymore if I get bumped down further.  They have a lot places where they could take that product.  I sent Willie a note, giving him kudos and letting him know I was glad a Cork local got it. 

I think I will be back there this summer.

News stuff – how to make screw shoes is pretty obvious, but this is a great recap, I have only bumped into him at one race but his story is compelling to many and he made Justin’s list, smart choices picking Meb and Jenny as US AOY, apparently there is a study that being at altitude and suicide may be related, and the 100k WC is coming up.

Day got away from me with work, and then prep in the evening for the upcoming excursion to KS for some birding.

5 comments:

  1. one time I found some climbs around town and thought I'd jot them down and go out and crush this one dude's ego to feed my own but I find it difficult to navigate.
    I was unaware of Molly Huddle's accomplishments this year until her most recent win. I would have given her the AOY title but then again I don't follow loop running as much.
    Altitude makes me happy and gives me gas for the first couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huddle is a firm choice as well, but dominating the roads in the US is an easier game than being a force on the international track.

      Delete
  2. I love how they consider someone who runs the 1500m a distance runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strava: I fondly remember when Scott Jaime beat one of my CRs. heh

    Of course, he was only the second dude to run the segment.

    I've heard of the altitude/suicide link, which I associate with less oxygen (seriously). It is a fact that the body does not operate as well at higher altitudes, right? However, I associate altitude with better living, at least up to around 9k. Above that, you're on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if this is seen in cities around the world, particularly those that are at higher elevations (that might be in the study I just have not got to that). I think there are cities in SA that are above 12k?

      Delete