Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday 111114

Veteran’s Day throw back pic.

A balmy 19 at the start of the run … Although one of my neighbors who saw me out later told me they thought I was nuts because they said it was 2 degrees when I was out.
FullSizeRender (2) 
I figured I’d head out and if the calf felt crappy I’d call it.  It never felt great (meaning I could feel the funk in there) but it was not a problem either.  Ran into a new local who was also out yogging, a transplant from Charlotte and got in a few miles with him.  Yapped up the typical and exchanged info for future runs.  10.4 miles.

The weather change yesterday was pretty dramatic.  Sixty and change in the AM and then several hours later it was in the teens.  This photo has been making the rounds.In case you weren't in Boulder today here is the weather sequence perfectly captured by aerospace engineering student Chris Nie and shared in Twitter (https://twitter.com/christophernie/status/531955600465203200).
I was wondering what it would be like to have to deal with this say 100 years ago when we not so tied into weather prediction.  Or even farther back than that.  I mean, we knew this was coming for days ahead of time.  But then, you had no idea.  Well, that is probably not true.  You probably knew this sort of thing could happen any time so you might live a bit more prepping for it to occur any time.

News stuff:  I sort of love this churning on data. Behind all that is a question comparing what is called a cross country race by some but a road race by others (Liberty Bell) to the current state championship XC course.  My favorite part of the whole article?  “Sometimes data is inconclusive.”
- Apparently getting EPO is like “buying a pack of gum.”  For what it is worth, I struggle with the empathy that seems to come up in some circles about Kenyans who may be using PEDs.  I almost sense a bit more of a consideration of forgiveness sneaking into the conversation as the financial stakes are an order of magnitude greater for those hugely economically “challenged” nations.  At some point, it ends up like sounding something Chris Rock said (NSFW).  In other words, while I like to think and say that I would not engage in such unethical behavior (cheating through the taking of PEDs) – it is easy for me to say that because I have not been at a level of performance where I would gain much ($$) by taking them.
- my Facebook page, is it a real representation of my life or is it a carefully crafted representation of how I would like my world to see me?   Timely read for me because it seems I run into some sort of annual review and disgust around elements of Facebook around this time of the year.  The entire theme of how everything is great and positive all the time … at some point it is like eating a sickly sweet chocolate raspberry ice cream.  It just does not feel real.  I have a rant chambered about how I think this sort of plays into a culture of setting up for inappropriate expectations from life (along with “live your dream and you will never work a day in your life” and what we do with the models but that is probably for another day.  Or maybe I just did it there.
- cool analysis of the marathon year.

I started (or maybe restarted) a conversation with my kids about what movies I think they ought to see that they have not seen.  There are a good number of flicks that have not been really appropriate for them to see as kids, but as they become adults, it will be interesting and fun to get them to see them.  Some are just movies that are well before their time that they just have not seen.  Put Casablanca into that category.  Also on the list, but for a different almost comedic reason, Top Gun.  Toss in your recommendations.

11 comments:

  1. Neighbor thought you were nuts for just running from the house? Sounds like my step dad... "why go run on those muddy trails when we have all these nice sidewalks, plus, we pay taxes to create those sidewalks you should use. Not to mention, you might get some mud in the caaah."

    That said, I have a massive expedition gear bag packed in anticipation of running Green after work, but am now waffling. The running part is fine, but will likely be a huge time investment with the icy roads. Ughh, how bout those sidewalks afterall...

    Love the Chris Rock, that about sums it up. Watching that got me to a favorite CR clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ (also contains explicit language).

    I hear you on the FB topic. On one hand, I get it and could potentially be guilty myself at times, but the constant bombardment of the most awesome lives and times can get old, even somewhat depressing and demoralizing. We'll save it for our next GOM run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you made the foray up Green yesterday, or today and what it was like.

      Delete
    2. I went Monday after work, plenty cold and snowy, but really fun. I was the only one on the hill (or at least I saw no other people or tracks). Still waffling on this afternoon...

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I'd say I join you but I really don't want to fight the in and out of Boulder in these conditions.

      Delete
  2. Here is what happened 70 or so years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day_Blizzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting and though not as severe, very similar temp drop, almost on the same day even. I had a conversation with Ed Green on Saturday (CBS Denver meterologist) and he had it spot on. Too bad CDOT does not pay any attention to any of this.

      Delete
  3. Good grief Nick - that is amazing that you pulled that out. Is that just common knowledge among you scientist types? The parallels in the weather on that day to this day are pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I would say common knowledge. But, when you work primarily with atmospheric scientists it is definitely held up as an example of the importance for what they do (i.e., why they should keep getting money). Though it does illustrate how different things are now since now people complain about the forecast being off by 1-2 inches of snow.

      Delete
  4. another view of the "peachy life as presented on social media" debate: http://semi-rad.com/2013/06/please-continue-instagramming-your-amazing-life/. the article concerns instagram, not facebook, but the premise is pretty much the same. great topics in the blog today... who doesn't like weather chat?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good read. I have been wondering if I need to do some sort of push back for my own mental energy with posts that show "an other side" of life."

      Delete
    2. GZ, I was thinking the same thing, would be really funny and a nice dose of reality. Just a few video clips between 5pm and bedtime with the twins would be sufficient.

      Delete