Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday 042415

Brandon has a humorous post regarding workflow at Chipotle.  This is funny, but it especially resonates with me as that sort of eyeballing of workflow is part of what I do.

Corporate weenieville … I see this stuff all the time.  And I am probably guilty of some of it.

CSI Longmont …

Strava gets in on the Boston Marathon geekiness.

Nice recap of Boston and a preview of London by the HOR guys.

Headed up Green via the middle route.  Started out hot.  Ended up in snow.

About 90 seconds after I took this vid, I started to head down, just as another guy came up on the summit.  He too was without a shirt and we laughed at each other as to how we each made the same silly choice.  He headed down Ranger, and I headed down Greenman (to go down the middle route). 

Just after the last of the rock fields (before the last bridge) in Gregory, I saw him (the middle route down is Greenman, Ranger, Gregory, the back route down is Ranger Gregory).   I was not pushing, and in fact my legs had felt like crap all day (up and down) and I was just absorbing the run versus pushing (but moving enough to keep warm).  I came up on him just before the Gregory lot … and as I expected he picked up the pace.  As we hit the newly carved Baseline trail I came by him and said hello again … except he didn’t quite give the trail … and so within five strides it was on.  I didn’t even think about it.  It just happened.  We barreled by Mark L who was finishing his own run and we must have looked like we had time trialed the whole damn thing together rather than the last 200 yards.  He cracked a touch as the trail flattened.  It sort of looked like this.

7.8 miles.  Fifth Green of the year.  All in the last 5 weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Too funny. I rarely, if ever seek out that scenario, but in a perverse way sort of enjoy when it happens, yet simultaneously hate it too for some reason. I walk away feeling a bit embarrassed with myself that I will throw all caution to the wind, dig deeper than I ever do in any real race that might matter and have even had elbow jabs exchanged, for what? It's all in good fun I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post by Brandon.
    Without looking, I believe the middle route is a bit longer than the back route?
    Funny how that instinct to compete always kicks in a bit, even when we don't really expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure a psychologist would have interesting thoughts on your need to race random people back to the trailhead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Johnson, from the Gregory lot, my Garmin consistently measures 2.7 up the back route (Gregory/Ranger) and an even 5k up the middle, vs. 2 miles up the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, thanks. I was out in August (from PA) and ran up the the back and came down the middle and thought the middle was a bit longer. Will more than likely do something similar this August.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, it is like Jeff called it Bob. Add on another kilo or so if you come up from the Chautauqua meadow, ranger cottage. I like the middle route the best as it gives the longest and hence most shallow route up. Still, it 2500 from Chaut over 3.8 on that route.

    Jeff - totally thought of you with the throw down on this. It was completely sophomoric, but I still engaged. Nick - lot of therapy to go through before we are just down to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the main 3 routes starting from Gregory, the middle is the longest, but you can add some even longer, lower incline mileage while still making the summit of Green a straight forward goal. Bear Canyon is 6.5 miles, or you can go up Gregory to Long to W. Ridge, or Flag/Long/W. Ridge or any of that from Chapman too to keep the turnover up. I have actually been preferring that as of late, as it better replicates Pikes vs. the ~18% of the A/S/G (front).

      Delete