Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tuesday 042815

Someone has the ACT today.  This is their last minute studying with a donut and some hard core Calvin and Hobbes reading.IMG_3354

Items I am contemplating picking up for the antics this summer. 
NAO2
Black Diamond Carbon Trekking Poles
Garmin 910XT
Now, arguably, I don’t really need any of that stuff.  It is nice to have stuff that will make longer treks more comfortable to some degree but it is not mandatory stuff.  I have other lights, I really don’t need a watch (or I can go with a cheaper one or not even a GPS one) and I can find some other substitute for poles.  The cost of all those items up there comes to close to (185+165+375) 700 dollars.  I guess if I had to go with any one of the items it might be the light first, then the poles, then the watch.  Somewhere along the way I am looking at getting some new shoes (I am preferential towards Hokas for this affair), and another water bottle / hand holder.

The RunJunkie guys have a funny mash up on the Penn Relays.

Timmy Parr has a helluva race schedule.

Casey Neistat … “you have to keep bustin’ your ass to move forward.”image

Afternoon – the wet and cooler temps have blown out.  I felt a bit heavy legged and lethargic and had a limited window so it was kept to 10.1 miles.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wizard sticks are a push for me but the general audience seems to think they are worth it for the climb back up Hope.

      Delete
  2. If the poles are just for a trip up Hope, a cheaper pair, or a borrowed pair would work just fine. I know you have some gift card bucks to use, but I think you could still get a 910Xt at REI for $269. No getting around the $185 on the Nao though, but they really do kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can borrow my NAO. I got it new last year. Maggie was going to use it for the flagstaff 100 but it got cancelled due to weather... it's such an awesome light. i even have an extra battery for it. with the baby due in a month i am pretty sure my summer is not going to be filled with too many night time adventures. let me know dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case the world did not know - JW is now in CO. All of you in the south Denver area can kiss your FKTs on Strava good bye.

      JW - heading to the other side of the planet in the next 24 hours but I will be back later next week and will look to coordinate some running with you, take you up on your light offer, and share a beverage. Thanks man.

      Delete
  4. You can borrow my poles. I'll have them out at Winfield for you.

    I know I completely sold out on the Hokas, but I'll never go so low I use cheater sticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you 40 now Brownie? - you can use the sticks and they will make that older you look more distinguished. Sort of like Sean Connery.

      Delete
    2. Brownie mentioned his b day once and I swear it was the same as Obama's.

      Delete
    3. Do we really know what day that is?

      Delete
    4. Good one.
      Obama's is August 4th.

      Delete
    5. Barack and I share a birthplace (Kenya), but not a birthday. And hell no I'm not 40.

      Delete
  5. I used some gift cards I had saved up plus dividend and went with a Fenix 3 recently. I was just going to put my 910XT up for sale this week. $50 and it's yours. It has a transmitter, but you'll need to buy a new chest strap if you want HR (just the soft strap for like $20). Here are the stats:

    Serial Number: 331024198
    344 Activities Since Sep 4, 2013
    3280 mi, 554 hours run
    660 mi, 49 hours bike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - Chris that is kind of you and I will take you up on it. Thanks. I will drop you a note!

      Delete
  6. Dang, post 3 things you need and BOOM, you are covered! I need to start blogging more I guess (I am in need of a GoPro and a Verizon, or unlocked iPhone 5 or newer ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff - careful or I might have you carry those things for me over Hope Pass.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a stick to hike up Hope, and then another to hike up the other side. But poles would be so much better (lighter)! But they made a huge difference for me. I didn't use anything anywhere else on the course, though, and wouldn't recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. George,
    I know you love your Hokas. I have been pretty critical of them in the past for fit issues and quick breakdown. However, all seems to be fixed with the Huaka. I was running today and wondered if you had tried them. I traded a friend a pair of my old Scotts for some Huakas with 450+ miles on them. They felt great from the start. They have a much more responsive feel due to a beefier foam in the midsole (RMAT they call it). I put another 400+ miles on them since. I just poked a hole in them from bushwhacking. Some tape and ShuGu will get them through a K. I have never had a shoe go past 500 miles. Ever. My size 9.5's weigh 9.2oz. I think they would be perfect for Leadville. Plus, Huaka translated literally from sandskrit is "lawnmower foot."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jer - yup, have them and have leveraged mine quite a few miles (although my goofy foot strike rips a wear pattern in shoes that brings their end of life probably a bit sooner than you). I definitely like them. I have worn them enough that almost all the tread on the outsole is done.

      Delete