Monday, November 26, 2018

Monday 25NOV2018

Today I got out for the somewhat typical Broomstock loop that gave me 8.7 miles (with some strides).

I headed over to the gym at the school afterwards, and did some weight work for about 40 minutes.  That probably means I did about 15 minutes of actual pushing of weights in some sort of exercise fashion, and the other 25 was considering the universe between sets. 

I tried to focus on legs, doing squats and lunges of different types, including using that hex bar thing and the inverted weight sled thing.  I have come to believe that my leg strength has really waned in the last couple of years.  There is a few things that I consider as evidence of that, including a visible loss of muscle mass in the quads, a thumping I create when I come down stairs, and the struggling with even body weight exercises like lunges. 

My work so far is pretty simple.  I’ll probably not bring in dead lifts or cleans until I gain some “strength confidence” after being regular with this type of work for a while.  And while it was simple today and will be for a bit … I can tell I am gonna be sore tomorrow.

It seems silly to say that I am not really sure what has driven this weakness, since I have done nothing but run for exercise of that body part.  I’ll look to see if I can make a regular habit of some gym work on this a few times a week.  If I see it exercise as a fixed time investment, that does mean I’ll need to cut back some miles (see yesterday’s post). 

Off to DC for a couple of days this week so I had to do what I could to get some lights up.

3 comments:

  1. Lack of hills = loss of leg strength

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think it is only that? As in you have to bang up 2500 foot hills to maintain it?

      Delete
    2. Probably not only that, but I feel stronger if I keep trudging up and down mountains as a part of the routine. Beats going to the gym, IMHO.

      Delete