Monday, August 12, 2019

Monday 12AUG2019

First official day of practice for XC 2019.  I gimped around a bit for 5.6 easy miles ... trying to work out the knot in my hip from yesterday's race and crashes.

Pikes has posted their bib numbers.  I think I was given some grace with my bib number at 128 for the marathon. I don't think my qualifying time from a 29 mile burro race in 2018 is really that great of a qualifier, but hey - I ain't gonna argue with.  I'll just say "thank you."

I'll admit here that while I feel a fair bit of fitness compared to where I have been in the last few years, I recognize that I am a bit off.  Greg has said this is probably fine and I haven't completely wrecked myself as I am a "classic overt rainer."  Still - a few runs up 2500 feet to a 8100 foot peak is significantly different than a climb of 7800 to 14k.  It is gonna be a grind.

I have come to terms that this is what it is.  I have work ... and frankly running my own work is a heck of a lot more consuming and gratifying than when I was working in the corporate world.  I don't have the time to get out and do the same training - but arguably I also don't have that same itch either.  That might be because I have already burned that match in this life ... or it might be that I am a few weeks out of becoming 50.  It doesn't matter - it is going to be a grind.

I also don't pour over the race rosters the same way any more.  I am also not sure if that is because I am too busy to care or if because I have "been there and done that" ... or because I just have lost track of the names.

Look - don't get me wrong ... I intend to fight the whole damn way ... and have that "if I am still standing when I am done hit me with a board because I didn't run hard enough" sort of mentality when I am racing - but I also recognize that my very mental and physical ability to do that does not quite seem to be the same.  But I am going to try.  It is going to be a grind.

Here is to the grind.  Two weeks to go!

This guy was cracking me up at the Buena Vista race yesterday ... he was checking out the burro staging.

Image may contain: sky, plant, house, tree and outdoor

Afternoon - a little bit of ditchin’
Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

No comments:

Post a Comment