Last night I was yapping with TG and told him that I'd do this 5K race if I felt good, but not if I felt off, or even on the fence. Well, I must have lied because when I woke up this AM, I did not feel good. I did not feel bad. I just felt flat. But I decided to jump into this anyway, to get a new baseline as to where I am at, and because racing does provide a bit of fuel for rekindling the fire.It was cool (30s?), overcast, and a touch humid. In my warm up, I, as one is prone to do in warm ups, worried about how my connective tissue felt, how my legs felt a bit heavy, and the like. I ran into Andy Ames and chatted with him a bit. It seemed like his warm up pace was a bit quick for me and I wondered if this race was going to represent a step backwards. But, in any case, I was there, in the ring, and so you have to give it a shot.
We got out quick - of course. All these races go out quick and I was about 20 deep about a minute into the race. With this initial play in, I began the task at hand and began focusing on keeping relaxed but rolling up those who had gone out too fast, while not becoming someone else's victim. I felt actually pretty good in this first mile and split (fwiw) at 5:25. Right past the first mile, I passed the last person I would get for the race (I did not know that at that time of course). I was a bit concerned with the mile split, thinking that I had maybe gone a bit too fast in the start and felt like I was begining to pay for that in some of the short climbs in the second mile. It was a bit of a lull in there, I was not in direct contact with anyone, and I lost a bit of focus and drive. I hit the two mile split in 5:42 (11:07). I began to get my head back and tried to begin to push, realizing I only had about six or so minutes left of running. There were some good straight stretches and I got a 5:36 third mile (16:42), finishing in 17:15 (I had about two clicks faster on my watch but its common for finish chutes to add two seconds). This landed me ninth, and 3rd in the 30-39 age bracket (age group won by some tri guy named Matt Reed ...).
I am happy with the improvement this race shows. Again, I did not feel particularly stellar, but I am showing improvement in 5K time, and so that has to reflect an improvement in fitness (17:44 at Oatmeal 5K, to 17:15 today). The course is probably a touch short, but Andy said it has something like 35 turns. A good number of those turns are more like switchbacks than just 90 degree turns, and a couple had some ice. So, I'll call it even. While I am happy with the improvement, particularly with it coming on a week where I felt I was off, I realize I have work to do. It has taken me about three months to drop 40 seconds off the 5K time. I want to drop at least another 40 on it in the next three months. This will require a bit of shift in focus, more to particular interval workouts, but I think I am ready for that. Again, I felt flat, not bad, not good ... maybe a bit race rusty mentally in my ability to dig in the middle mile. I certainly did not feel like warm death at the end of the race ... it seems that I am able to get to that kill yourself state better the fitter I am. I do think that the faster opener shows that I am getting some of that turnover. Just need to keep that going for a few more miles!
Andy ran well, winning Masters, Anna P won the women's race and I saw (briefly) fellow local blogger Kerrie. She took second in the women's race. I did not get to chat with her as I was in conversation with Andy on the warm down ... it is a bit wierd "knowing" people via the 'net but and then seeing them in real life!
I am giving this week a B-. It would have gotten a C or worse given I did not have a long run this week, and the mid week distractions, but I did manage to pull myself out it and show improvement in this race.
9 miles with the race. Added a very easy and relaxed five miles on the mill in the evening. Felt good, no tweaks.
solid run! nice to put a face to you! not really my day, i was feeling pretty flat too but for what it is worth i was talking to the new race director and she claims the course was on distance wise...it was a new course and that is why we started up on the sidewalk.
ReplyDeleteYeah - the course has notoriously been known to be short for some time ... but you are right ... we did back up onto the area in front of the Buffalo. Then again, mapmyrun as the club listed it still had the course at 3.05 miles, or 4.91 km (or 90m short) (even accounting for that backed up start). Ah, well ... whatever. With that number of turns, it is probably near equivalent.
ReplyDeleteConsidering the week you had with your family - you ran GREAT.