I contacted my medical provider and I have a general physical in a couple of weeks. I am going to try to get some extensive blood work done then but I am pretty sure it is going to take some sweet talk from me for them to agree to it. I'd like to get the more extensive blood work to see if anything chemically requires some attention there.
I have done a physical every couple of years, and the experience has been pretty much the same: they want to know what the heck I am doing there. I tell them that I am just trying to be preventative, proactive and they just look at me. Do you smoke? No. Do any recreational drugs? No Do you drink? Yes, occasionally. Okay, drink less. Do you exercise? Umm, yeah a little. See ... they don't want to hear that I run seventy miles a week because they see that as a problem. And maybe it is a problem but I am going to be damned if an overweight doctor is going to tell me that. Any health problems? No. Well, that has been the answer until now. Yes, I have a few problems. I have an Achilles that wants to rupture, an abdominal that feels like it is falling out, and I can't touch my toes without bending my knees. Can you help me with that? Nah, I really don't want your help there anyway. But while, I am at it can you make it so that I can breathe more effectively at 14000 feet? Actually, forget it, I don't want your help there anyway. At least not if it means a pill or something.
Anyway, I spoke with a dial-a-nurse about my abdominal issue. After about five minutes she was pretty sure it was not a hernia, suggested I take about 1200-1800 mg a day of vitamin I. I will give it a shot. I'd really rather it be just a damn good muscle strain that I am being a wimp through than a hernia. If it still persists, well, I got that appointment. I think I might avoid the treadmill for a little bit, as that seems to aggravate it (but that does not make a lot of sense).
And despite the fact that everytime I cough, it feels like I am going to fall out of my hips, I was giving serious thought to doing the 50 at Collegiate Peaks this year. What the heck is that all about?
Okay, I don't tell a lot of stories about my family here because I think the internet freaks will hop on them. But considering my hit counter, I don't think I have much to worry about. Plus this one is too good to pass up. My son is sitting in his PJs this AM, eating his cereal. It is getting a bit late in the morning so I say to him, "hey bud, you might want to start getting ready for school and get dressed there." He looks at me and says, "What day is it?" "Wednesday bud." He looks down at his cereal bowl and whispers "... damn it..." I mean, I nearly lost it (in a good way). He loves school and all but we all have bad days. Even in first grade. Yes, for those of you concerned, we had a good talk on how that is not an appropriate response, and how he ought to remind me that those words are not good when I use them.
A few links for the day ...
- For those of you thinking you are doing a lot of mileage, you are not
- Another incredible musician I am guessing you never will hear of.
- This is the truest form of ultra I have seen yet.
- A good interview with Nate Jenkins, who came in seventh at the OT Marathon. Seems like a solid guy. FWIW, I appreciate the entire blue collar versus blue chipper thing we hear about with guys like Sell as opposed to Ritz and Hall. I am not convinced however that Sell trained harder than Hall in year leading up to the race. I am convinced they both trained a lot harder in that period than nearly everyone I know. I am not convinced that just because Sell did not break 10 minutes in the 2 mile in HS, that it was only his hard work and blue collar ethic that got him to be a 2:10 guy. Don't get me wrong, I am a Sell fan, and his story is truly an American story. But let's not dress him up to be Cinderella when compared to Ritz and Hall. I get what he did, but maybe we need to consider he was vastly talented and under trained in HS.
lol, i say that every morning when i eat breakfast ;)...
ReplyDeleteabout the treadmill thing, you should check out breeweehawaii.blogspot.com cause she does a lot of tready running and has posted some links about how to covert your efforts to "real" running.
i think i need a treadmill...especially today!
Thanks for the blog tip Kerrie. I will check it out. It is pretty wild, there is this community of blogger - athletes I have never met but I am interesting hearing their stories from.
ReplyDeleteI think I need to avoid the treadmill a bit. I have this stupid idea that it is a bit at the root of some of my abdominal pain as of late. Why do I think that? I think when I hit the front of the deck, it causes me to be a bit off kilter for a bit ... and then cause me to use the abs. Do it once, and no biggie. Do it 200 times in a run and you then have a sore tummy. Which ought to not be a big deal because it is making that stronger right? But it is messing up my other workouts.
But you are right - it is going to be hard not to use a treadmill today. I am going to just think I am running in a post card.