Biked into work, easy, 30 minutes.
Felt a bit of a mess in the AM. I ate pretty ravenously yesterday, and I think I was paying for that this AM. You don't want to know more than that.
Most of the day got away from me at work. Happens sometimes ... I try to get around that, but it still happens occasionally. As a result I did not get to run until the close of the day. I knew the run was going to be a challenge for me because the "weeds of discontent and excuse" were growing quite a bit in my head: "your legs are heavy, you ran long yesterday, don't you think you need a break?" I decided to apply a liberal dose of TFU ... and did the JW over at Westminster Hills. Once I started to get into the workout, and knock down some of the repeats ... my head decompressed and cleared. Yeah, it was not as fast as I would have liked it, because my legs were heavy but it was a decent workout nonetheless. Westminster Hills (map) above is an okay place to run ... it is just not as hilly as the title would lead you to believe. (for those not recalling the JW, it is a warmup (10 mins for me today), 6 x 2 minutes on (I take 90 seconds rest between), 5 minutes on (I then take 2:30 off), 6 x 1 minute on (I take 45 seconds rest in between except after the last where I took a minute) and then five minutes on. I rounded out the run to 70 minutes with the warm down.
Various tidbits:
- I thought a bit about what I was saying terms to ramping it up yesterday. In reality, I will begin to up the ante in tempo runs, and non descript efforts that are "harder" (meaning time based efforts versus distance based ones). Getting to the track now to rip miles or thousands would have some benefit but I think the overall risk is still too large.
- Justin has posted some good running news for the week, including results from the Teva games.
- Damn good run by JV up Shadow yesterday.
- Still thinking about what races to do. Contemplating one of the shorter Leadville races in July (7/5), one of the Vail Races (hill climb is 7/6), Scar Mountain Race (7/4), Summer Roundup 12K (also that weekend ... guess I need to pick one since I am not going to do a Bernie), Eldorado four miler (early August), and the trail champs up a Steamboat (June 29). I am pretty sure I will end up heading to those that are closer ... too many excuses and things to do rather than to trek to Vail or Steamboat.
- I am beginning to scheme how I can get down to Pikes for a weekend to do some recon on the trail. The day of the Barr Trail race would be nice ... simply because I could also check out the race and it would get the juices flowing (watching a good race can do that). With the snow clearing ... it is time to be planning to get to ALTITUDE!
- JW continues to impress ... I love watching this journey. It is fun, inspirational and successful.
- Need to look to continue to click it up a notch on the little things though ... a bit better on the diet (particularly after yesterday when I ate the door off the fridge), begin to do a tiny bit of core (while avoiding straining that other thing), better on the hydration (I get so stupid busy I often forget to drink) ... 68 days.
Biked home. 30 minutes.
68 days is still a ton of time! sounds like you are getting some solid/consistant work in and in the end, that will count for a lot more than "speed".
ReplyDeleteit was a great day to get out today!!
any change in the thing that "must not be named?"
Let me know if you want to go to Pikes some Sat/Sun AM. Not sure what day the Incline Club runs, but I too need to get down there.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback. You're absolutely right and btw it's getting easier and harder to read your posts; your improved health means the training is getting more interesting to read about (easier), but talk of all the cool places to run and races organized in your neck of the woods makes the San Diegan feel terribly inadequate (harder).
ReplyDeleteAnd your tidbits - great read. Justin Mock's blog is terrific. I'm glad to see that you appreciate JW as much as I do - the guy is a star in every sense, biking to and from work is awesome (I hope to emulate very soon) and the mention of improved diet, core work and hydration hit the nails on the heads! Ditto.
Great stuff, GZ, and thanks again for the feedback.
'ate the whole fridge' lol.
ReplyDeleteYesterday in one single day I ate an entire bag of BBQ potato chips.
I need to lose 6 pounds to get down to where I was last year and that ain't the way to do it!
Kerrie ... the issue is nominally better. I'd say 10 percent. There are certain activities that aggravate it more, so I avoid those as much as I can ... in other words I train around it. I am guessing it will eventually heal but it will be a long slow thing. I guess that is better than surgery in the long haul.
ReplyDeleteJustin - JV and I will be planning up with some others some trips to Pikes soon. We'll keep you in the loop.
Matt - yeah, I know that some of the details on the posts are hard to read. I have debated about putting them in there because of that, but this is my training log. Really - I have no other log. I want to be able to go back next year and see what I was doing, measure specific splits, etc.
Brett - I am past the chips, it is the third helpings of pasta and salad I need to get past. I eat relatively healthy, it is just that I eat TOO much at times. On days when I have burned a good amount of cals, I can really put it away - it is almost as if I never get full ... I can eat and eat and eat. And I like to eat. Really, I can cut it back to where I eat a single helping and then I am done.
Lots more to post later today - as I had an hour chat with Lucho today.