10 miles. 76 minutes. Ran easy with Steve (4 miles, 32 minutes) from the office to start and then did 10 x a minute on Simms Hill at 5K effort (but not goal 5k pace on that hill!). Jogged for a but and then finished off the last mile in 5:35.
Not sure about the last 100. Definitely had some days off in December. Looks like my last day off was December 30. I have also had some very light days, as little as 3 or 4 miles.
Typically I don't need to schedule days off ... they are sort of thrust upon me with work, family or something that just make the day off happen. December 30 is such a case - we went skiing.
I am not looking to streak or avoid a day off ... if I have the opportunity to run though, I typically do, because I enjoy it.
That said, I have had a few days lately where I have had a bit of lethargy and have wondered if I ought to just take the day off. Tuesday was such a day. That turned into a pretty good run. I am not sure if those feelings are because I am tired from work, want to run in the heat of a 90 degree day rather than a 30 degree one or if I legitimately need a break. Bit it seems that once I get going, I am usually feeling pretty good that I went - better than I would feel if I skipped.
I'm afraid that's your problem (or a symptom of the problem). That's what Brett's implying. If you're racing, you should have a plan. That includes specificity: specifically easier, harder and off. Or I'm admitting my ignorance once again.
Uhhhhh, I am not smart enough to have been implying anything. :) But that does sound good, so let's go with it. Just trying to gather info and help find ways to get myself better.
I'm kind of wondering aloud if a speed walk on an incline (ie get HR to 140s) will serve as a day off physically, yet keep the fitness at the same time...maybe once/twice a week.
Oh yeah ... totally agree with that. But right now, my general goal is consistency with the training. Call it base, but with spice mixed in via tempo runs, and some timed intervals and some long runs.
I get antsy when I do a race and I see a result that I don't like, but really - that is what I trained for right now. I did not really taper. I did not really do 5K specific work. I have not hit the track. I have not done any true gut busting workouts.
I could and get better results at the 5K right now, but that is not the BIGGER picture. The picture now is consistency ... call it base if you want.
Again, I am not opposed to a day off, but I don't think days off are necessary to just have an easy day. In fact, I think I have been getting a bit better with my easy days being closer to 5 or so easy miles and my harder days being a bit longer, and/or faster. Some of my easy days have had stuff in it at 15 minute per mile pace too. Yesterday's run ... 10 miles but the average pace was 9:44 a mile. I realize that is all relative but this is with guys that can hold sub sixes for quite a while ... well slower than the recommended 1-2 minutes slower than 10k pace you often read as the definition of easy.
All that said, I posted that plan to open it up to criticism, analysis. It is why I blog too (in part): keep a record and have folks tell me where I have jacked something up (bigger picture is I blog because I am convinced our journeys are all more alike than different ... but that is a different post).
The plan shifts in March as I begin to up the ante slightly through the spring. I have been thinking a down week at the end of the month of Feb might be required.
I have a tough time thinking I am training TOO hard. The training I am doing now generally does not feel forced. Yeah, I have had days where I look outside and see shitty weather and I am like, "WTF?" but that is probably more my head than my body.
I watched that entire interview. I gained a lot of respect for the talent people like Letterman had. That was a total flop, dud interview...but he kept it going and turned it into a hilarious piece.
I just realized.....do you ever take a day off? How many days in the last 100 have you not run?
ReplyDeleteNot sure about the last 100. Definitely had some days off in December. Looks like my last day off was December 30. I have also had some very light days, as little as 3 or 4 miles.
ReplyDeleteTypically I don't need to schedule days off ... they are sort of thrust upon me with work, family or something that just make the day off happen. December 30 is such a case - we went skiing.
I am not looking to streak or avoid a day off ... if I have the opportunity to run though, I typically do, because I enjoy it.
That said, I have had a few days lately where I have had a bit of lethargy and have wondered if I ought to just take the day off. Tuesday was such a day. That turned into a pretty good run. I am not sure if those feelings are because I am tired from work, want to run in the heat of a 90 degree day rather than a 30 degree one or if I legitimately need a break. Bit it seems that once I get going, I am usually feeling pretty good that I went - better than I would feel if I skipped.
I'm afraid that's your problem (or a symptom of the problem). That's what Brett's implying. If you're racing, you should have a plan. That includes specificity: specifically easier, harder and off. Or I'm admitting my ignorance once again.
ReplyDeleteUhhhhh, I am not smart enough to have been implying anything. :) But that does sound good, so let's go with it. Just trying to gather info and help find ways to get myself better.
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of wondering aloud if a speed walk on an incline (ie get HR to 140s) will serve as a day off physically, yet keep the fitness at the same time...maybe once/twice a week.
Oh yeah ... totally agree with that. But right now, my general goal is consistency with the training. Call it base, but with spice mixed in via tempo runs, and some timed intervals and some long runs.
ReplyDeleteI get antsy when I do a race and I see a result that I don't like, but really - that is what I trained for right now. I did not really taper. I did not really do 5K specific work. I have not hit the track. I have not done any true gut busting workouts.
I could and get better results at the 5K right now, but that is not the BIGGER picture. The picture now is consistency ... call it base if you want.
Again, I am not opposed to a day off, but I don't think days off are necessary to just have an easy day. In fact, I think I have been getting a bit better with my easy days being closer to 5 or so easy miles and my harder days being a bit longer, and/or faster. Some of my easy days have had stuff in it at 15 minute per mile pace too. Yesterday's run ... 10 miles but the average pace was 9:44 a mile. I realize that is all relative but this is with guys that can hold sub sixes for quite a while ... well slower than the recommended 1-2 minutes slower than 10k pace you often read as the definition of easy.
All that said, I posted that plan to open it up to criticism, analysis. It is why I blog too (in part): keep a record and have folks tell me where I have jacked something up (bigger picture is I blog because I am convinced our journeys are all more alike than different ... but that is a different post).
The plan shifts in March as I begin to up the ante slightly through the spring. I have been thinking a down week at the end of the month of Feb might be required.
I have a tough time thinking I am training TOO hard. The training I am doing now generally does not feel forced. Yeah, I have had days where I look outside and see shitty weather and I am like, "WTF?" but that is probably more my head than my body.
Two beers a night is also pretty good recovery.
And guys - thanks.
A day off, how I'm sorta understanding it, is sure to recover and then prepare oneself to HIT the next work-out. Are you HITTING "those" work-outs?
ReplyDeleteYeah yeah, after the base thingy you'll get serious. I like you're thinking.
So is Joaquin Phoenix the inspiration for your beard? Great appearance last night on Letterman.
ReplyDeleteClose Justin but not quite. I am his inspiration.
ReplyDeleteI'm a Jaoquin fan (or was). That was bizarre. You can see parts of the interview on YouTube. Pretty awkward.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpYk7WGN5Y
ReplyDeleteAnd here he is rapping:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrclRelKUno
GZ, keep the beard going and this is your Halloween costume.
Actually I am going for this look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxuSiC4wNw
ReplyDeleteI watched that entire interview. I gained a lot of respect for the talent people like Letterman had. That was a total flop, dud interview...but he kept it going and turned it into a hilarious piece.
ReplyDelete